Lamb and New Potatoes with Feta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KatyCooks

Head Chef
Hi Kathleen. I had to type up the recipe as I have never been able to find it online - I cut it out of a magazine about 25 years ago! I use my pressure cooker these days, but this is the original recipe using the oven. It's from the UK so not sure about the oven temps - you may need to do a conversion.

Lamb with New Potatoes and Feta

Cooking: 2.5 hours (or use a pressure cooker and reduce to about 40 mins!)

Serves: 6 – 8

Ingredients

3tbs olive oil
1 boned leg or shoulder of lamb (about 1.25kg/2lb 12 oz) cut into 5cm/2in chunks
2 medium onions, chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
450g/1lb ripe tomatoes chopped (no need to peel)
½ a lemon, finely chopped (including the skin and pith, but not seeds)
1 tbs chopped fresh oregano (or 1tsp dried)
600ml/1 pint lamb stock
750g/1lb 10oz small new potatoes, scrubbed but not peeled (or halved if larger)
175g/6oz Feta, crumbled
Bunch of parsley, roughly chopped
Salt and pepper
(Optional) Crusty bread to serve

Method
  • Preheat oven to 180C/fan 170C/Gas 4. Heat the oil over a high heat in a large, flameproof lidded casserole if you have one, or a large deep frying pan. Add the lamb and brown quickly all over. Do this in batches if your pan is not big enough.
  • Add the onions to the pan and fry gently until softened and lightly browned. Stir in the garlic.
  • Add the tomatoes, lemon, oregano, stock, salt and pepper and bring to the boil. If using a casserole simply cover and put in the oven. Otherwise transfer to an ovenproof dish and cover. Cook in the oven for 1hr 15 mins and then add the potatoes and cook for a further 45 minutes (or until the potatoes and lamb are tender).
  • Remove from the oven and crumble over the feta. Cover and leave to stand for at least 10 minutes. Scatter over the parsley and serve in soup bowls (the liquid is not thickened in this recipe). Can be served with thick slices of crusty bread to mop up the juices.
NB: You can speed this all up if you have a pressure cooker – just pressure cook the lamb for around 20 minutes, then a further 20 minutes when you put in the potatoes. (You will probably need less stock if using a pressure cooker.)

Let me know what you think if you decide to make it! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom