Kitchen "Candy" ~ Or, Look What I Just Got!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I know, posted recently but just have to repost this one...

calling you.jpg

Consider this: If you had a smart phone, you wouldn't need your land line. Also you wouldn't have to rely on your computer as much.

I am housebound and my computer is my only access to the outside world and I would not be able to do as much as I do on it, on a smart phone. I also would not be physically able to handle one.

I am housebound and my computer is my only access to the outside world and I would not be able to do as much as I do on it, on a smart phone. I also would not be physically able to handle one.
I guess that explains why you don't have a smartphone ? I bought my first one about 15 years ago because as a web site manager, I had to be able to create and test web pages for mobile devices. We all have different wants and needs.

Andy, consider this.. during the infamous Ice Storm that left many without power for weeks, they still had their land lines that worked when their cell phones needed to be charged and no where to charge them.

Of course, maybe south of the 49th those ..... people also lost their land lines, having given up their independent power source to the persuasions of the monopolies.

emoticone_mdr7.GIF
emoticone_mdr7.GIF
emoticone_mdr7.GIF

Dragn', that's exactly why we still have a landline with Bell. My sister had a landline with her cable company. Then, she found out that it was actually VOIP. She wanted a phone that would work when the power is out, so she promptly cancelled her so-called landline. She lives in Southern California.

Andy, consider this.. during the infamous Ice Storm that left many without power for weeks, they still had their land lines that worked when their cell phones needed to be charged and no where to charge them.

Of course, maybe south of the 49th those ..... people also lost their land lines, having given up their independent power source to the persuasions of the monopolies.

View attachment 63314View attachment 63314View attachment 63314
Most of our power lines are underground so power failures are rare. I had a cell phone so I saved $$ by cancelling my land line.

View attachment 63314View attachment 63314View attachment 63314
I live in hurricane country. When the powerr goes out, often the only thing that still works is texting and cell service, My smartphone is my only connection to the world. The landline is useless.

During the Great Ice Storm of 1998, but we wouldn't have been able to charge them at home, because we had no power for eight days. We also had no heat, so we spent a lot of time in places that did have heat and power. Some restos had generators. We phoned home regularly. Pay phones were still everywhere and if the number you dialed didn't answer, you got your quarter back. The landline worked fine. We were phoning to see if the answering machine was picking up. On day eight, when we called home and that answering machine playe it's message, we were jumping with joy and headed straight home. Not long after that, we bought the "Thunder Range", a single burner that runs on butane, so safe to use indoors with ventilation. That way at least we can have a cup of coffee or tea when the power is out.

Last edited:
taxy, I confess, I put my landline on hold for 6 months at something like $6.00 a month. When during those 6 months I didn't once need or miss the land line for any purpose, I cancelled it. But you see, on the farm, during storms I had a wood burning stove for heat and a generator for power.
But I was a fortunate one.

I still have a landline. When the power went out down the eastern seaboard (I think it was something happened at Niagara power station early 2000’s) the only thing worked was my landline for several days. Cell phones were down also. But now the phone company changed the box outside and it has a battery pack. If power goes out the phone will only work for several hours which I feel is almost useless. Hub won’t use a cell phone so I have to keep it. :(

From this:
20230207_151153.jpg

To this. Shiny!

20230207_150222.jpg

And empty. Time to move things back from the walk-in cooler, AKA attached garage. We'll probably lose less than $100 in food because we've been using up our stock. Thankfully, the weather has been on our side. This would have been a different story had the fridge died in warm weather.

Congrats CG, nice looking gadget you have there!

BTW, remember to use your ice dispenser at least once a week or more!, even in winter, so it doesn't jam up. ;) ask me how I know.

Back
Top Bottom