Kitchen "Candy" ~ Or, Look What I Just Got!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looks good JC. don't know why I didn't check more carefully on line while shopping for a vacuum sealer. I usually do.

Got the regular size sealer and I'm basically happy with it but think what you have probably would have been better for my needs.

Two complaints with the full size - is the huge use of excess & expensive plastic it takes to seal tight. A lesser complaint is the counter space it takes up in a limited counter spaced kitchen. Finally found a shelf for it but only with lots of shuffling.
Exactly my thoughts..

I had no idea this was available.. Just happened upon it and glad I did..

Ross

Some of you know that when I moved to Missouri from Cali, I didn't bring small appliances from my kitchen.. Jeannie did save and ship our Ninja and I'm glad she did as, it serves more than one purpose..

One item I disposed of was my vac sealer. I'd used one for 20some years but found myself not using it as often as before..

Well, I soon found that I do need vac sealing now and then.. I wanted to seal some things but could not justify purchasing a standard sized one..

Checking kitchen items online, I came across a Food Saver Hand Held Sealer..

https://www.amazon.com/FoodSaver-FS...pID=31tolFWRb4L&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Ive used it a half doz times, this past month and really like it.. Inexpensive, compact and seems to vacuum very well.. [emoji2]

Ross
Can you use it for more than deli meats and cheeses? Like, for two-serving portions of meats for the freezer?

Can you use it for more than deli meats and cheeses? Like, for two-serving portions of meats for the freezer?
I got one of those FoodSaver ones several years ago (I also have the Ziploc version) to use on the zipper bags. I stopped using them because they didn't stay vacuum sealed for very long before air got in even in the freezer. I also have a couple of the FoodSaver vacuum seal containers and they do keep the seal pretty well.

I missed this thread till today. I don't know how I missed it. Maybe "candy" threw me off. LOL

I have been getting new odds and ends for the past year.

Should I post some even though they are a year old?

I have a lot of items. Most were gifts and some were bought with tax refund money. A couple were freebies through gift cards from my Mango Health App. This will tale several posts.

Part 1

4_oz_ball_jars_metal_lids.jpg

4_oz_ball_jars_metal_lids_02_2018.jpg

bear_paws.jpg

cuisinart_3.5_qt_pan__may_5_2018.jpg

cuisinart_hand_mixer_02-2018.jpg

Cuisinart CPT-142 Compact 4-Slice Toaster .jpg

bamboo_tongs.jpg

Last edited:
Yes you can.. The bags come in quart and gallon sizes..

I have used mine for chicken and pork chops, berries and veggies..
The bags seem to take out all the air as did my standard sized vac machine..
Time will tell but, thus far I see no sign of the bags loosing the seal..

Ross

Yes you can.. The bags come in quart and gallon sizes..

I have used mine for chicken and pork chops, berries and veggies..
The bags seem to take out all the air as did my standard sized vac machine..
Time will tell but, thus far I see no sign of the bags loosing the seal.

Cool, thanks [emoji2]

I got one of those FoodSaver ones several years ago (I also have the Ziploc version) to use on the zipper bags. I stopped using them because they didn't stay vacuum sealed for very long before air got in even in the freezer. I also have a couple of the FoodSaver vacuum seal containers and they do keep the seal pretty well.
Standard zipper bags do not seem to work well..

These bags, while also zipper bags, have a spot which I put the nozzle of the product against and it seems to suck out all the air.. They look just as the bags from my standard vac machine did when placed in the freezer..
The only unknown is, will they stay air free for the needed time? So far, (a month) so good..

As I've said, I no longer vac pak large quantities, expecting them to stay air free for long periods of time..

Ross

Standard zipper bags do not seem to work well..

These bags, while also zipper bags, have a spot which I put the nozzle of the product against and it seems to suck out all the air.. They look just as the bags from my standard vac machine did when placed in the freezer..
The only unknown is, will they stay air free for the needed time? So far, (a month) so good..

As I've said, I no longer vac pak large quantities, expecting them to stay air free for long periods of time..

Ross
I know which bags to use. Some came with the machine (both the ziploc and foodsaver come with a starter pack - couple of both size bags). The foodsaver kit also came with a plastic container and a coupler/adapter to use with the machine to vacuum seal it.

Last edited:
MsM, how do you like the Cuisinart hand mixer? That's the one I saved in my "Kitchen goodies" file after looking at a bunch of them online.

I really have to replace mine. It's actually Himself's from when he first went away to college. His mom gave him her hand-me-down...in 1966. The cord is loose when plugged into the blender. I need to hold it in so that it doesn't fall out. :LOL: Otherwise, it's perfect.

I thought I saw a review of hand mixers from seriouseats or ATK relatively recently, but I couldn't find it, so I'm probably wrong. Consumer Reports rates the Cuisinart mixers favorably, and the HM-50 was their top rated model. I have a discontinued 3 speed Cuisinart mixer, which I bought because it was really cheap ($15 or so). It works for things like mashed potatoes, but I can't imagine trying to do anything like bread dough with a hand mixer.

tenspeed - think I read the same review. :rolleyes: I'm happy with mine although contrary to their claims I don't find the speeds differ a great deal between them.

There are 5 speeds and the low (1) is not very low! When started it really jumps in your hand so you have to be careful or there will be flour and liquid everywhere.

the high is a good high and great for eggs and whipping creme.

I suppose for curiosity they had to try them for heavy doughs but bread? I don't think they were ever intended to do bread, so why?! My ancient Sunbeam stand mixer does just fine for heavy doughs. Even then I only start bread with it (no such thing as a dough hook back in them thar days).

Yes, heavy doughs do have a tendency to climb up the beaters - but I've seen that on the new models too.

MsM, how do you like the Cuisinart hand mixer? That's the one I saved in my "Kitchen goodies" file after looking at a bunch of them online.

I really have to replace mine. It's actually Himself's from when he first went away to college. His mom gave him her hand-me-down...in 1966. The cord is loose when plugged into the blender. I need to hold it in so that it doesn't fall out. :LOL: Otherwise, it's perfect.

I really like the Cuisinart mixer. I haven’t had any problems so far. I love the storage case that holds everything and takes up very little space. My old mixer was way to fast on low speed and the beaters fell out sometimes. The Cuisinart starts on speed 1 no matter what speed it was turned off on. It starts a bit fast but than lowers a little but I would like if it was a bit slower on power 1.
I haven’t tried the hooks on bread/cookie doughs yet. I did use the hooks to mix meatloaf ingredients and it worked pretty good. But bread dough is done in my bread machine or no knead method and cookie dough in the kitchen aid. BTW all the attachments from my old hand mixer fit/work with the Cuisinart. The old whisk is a bit longer than the new one.
But the best part is that it was free using a Target gift card I got from my Mango app.

Last edited:

If it's otherwise perfect why not take it to an electrician to have it re-wired? Obviously, use a properly qualified electrician (one who's registered with the organisation which oversees qualified electrical engineers so you've some protection against the dangerous villains).

I have a lot of items. Most were gifts and some were bought with tax refund money. A couple were freebies through gift cards from my Mango Health App. This will tale several posts.

Part 1

View attachment 30525

View attachment 30526

View attachment 30527

View attachment 30528

View attachment 30529

View attachment 30530

View attachment 30531
Sorry. I just realized I didn't label items. Yesterday was a crazy day.
Going down the page:

Ball Food Storage Jar with Plastic Cap, Regular Mouth, 4 Ounces, 4 Count

I'm using these for single servings of pudding & jello. I may also use them to poach eggs in the Instant Pot.

Ball 4ct Mini 4oz Storage Jar with metal lids.

I'm using for small amounts of spice blends I mixed up to try out.

The Original Bear Paws Shredder Claws - Easily Lift, Handle, Shred, and Cut Meats - Essential for BBQ Pros - Ultra-Sharp Blades and Heat Resistant Nylon

I LOVE these. I shred large quantities of pork Carnitas/pulled pork and pot roasts in about 2 minutes.

Cuisinart® Power Advantage Plus 9 Speed Hand Mixer

Cuisinart 733-24H Chef's Classic Stainless 3-1/2-Quart Sauté Pan with Helper Handle & Cover

I also have the 5.5 Quart and LOVE them both.

Cuisinart CPT-142 Compact 4-Slice Toaster

Needed to replace my 2 slice toaster and this one looked good. I like the extra toasting/warming/cancel options and the high lift that makes it easier to take toast out. I am very happy with it.

RuiLing Long Grip 2-Pack 9.5-Inch Natural Bamboo Kitchen Tongs Toast Tongs.

Because family members stick metal utensils in the toaster. :wacko:

Have you noticed I lean toward Cuisinart products? :angel:

More to come.

Part 2

instant_pot_ultra_6_qt_may_5_2018.jpg

Instant Pot Ultra 6 Qt 10-in-1 Multi- Use Programmable Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Yogurt Maker, Cake Maker, Egg Cooker, Sauté, Steamer, Warmer, and Sterilizer

This has a feature that can be used for sous vide which I plan on trying soon.
This model has several new features:
A graph that let's you know how far along the cooking process is
When lid is closed it automatically set vent in sealing position
A new way of venting the steam (push button)
Several new modes - cake, egg, ultra (you can set a specific temperature, and use for sous vide) and sterilize
And you can adjust cooking times after cooking begins without having to hit cancel first and starting over

mason_jar_spice_lids.jpg

Jarware 82625 Spice Lid for Regular Mouth Mason Jars, Green

I use mine for fresh grated Parmesan Reggiano and Romano cheese.

I also purchased some Instant Pot accessories. I'll post those once I get pictures and links.

Last edited:
MsM, as a new fan of my Anova Sous Vide, I'm wondering about trying Sous Vide with your pot. It has the function to hold a constant temperature but there is theoretically going to be a temperature gradient in the water bath because there isn't anything circulating the water.

If it's otherwise perfect why not take it to an electrician to have it re-wired? Obviously, use a properly qualified electrician (one who's registered with the organisation which oversees qualified electrical engineers so you've some protection against the dangerous villains).
A new top-rated mixer is $36.95, free shipping. Her mixer is 52 years old. What do electricians in your part of the world charge?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom