Just Curious... How do you watch your Cooking youtube videos?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I follow a number of YouTubers who cook. I really enjoy "Tasting History with Max Miller". If I remember correctly, he started the channel at the beginning of the pandemic as something to do with his interest in food and history. He now makes a decent income with his videos. I'm pretty sure he didn't set out to use YouTube as a platform for earning money, but he got popular and the possibilities became apparent to him. He does a lot of research and finds old recipes that could be from Roman times or it could be like this one about a recipe from 1932. It's 18:49 minutes long.

I remember watching him in the beginning. He used to be an animator at Disney. When the pandemic subsided in 2021, he was offered his job back; he took a leap of faith and turned them down to work on the channel full-time. He started getting more and more sponsors and last year wrote a book. I love his show.

Last edited:
First I go to the description below the youtube to see if there are written directions with amounts.
If I'm not sure I want to watch it I will fast forward through by tapping the 'greater than' button (>) that is on the lower right hand side of the keyboard and only stop on the parts I want to see.
Sometimes they have accompanying websites where you can download the recipes.

Yup, I don't necessarily like all of Chef John's recipes, but that's a question of personal preferences. The recipes always work and lots of them are very much to my liking. It really is nicer to get a properly formated recipe, instead of having to copy the transcription and foof with that.
Sometimes they have an accompanying website where you can download the recipes.

I enjoy quite a few YouTube channels, although I don't catch them all as much as I did when I was recovering from surgery.
  • Alison Roman - former food writer for NYT, etc., and author of 4 cookbooks
  • Beryl Shereshewsky
  • Chef John, Food Wishes
  • Kenji's Cooking Show (Jr. Kenji López-Alt)
  • Middle Eats - an Egyptian guy in London who does all kinds of Middle Eastern food
  • Refika's Kitchen - a Turkish food TV star and cookbook author
  • Tasting History with Max Miller
  • Used to watch Bake with Jack. Great for learning about baking bread.
  • Chinese Cooking Demystified - a married couple - she's Chinese, he's American. They used to live in China but had to move to Thailand for political reasons (can't remember the details).

Sometimes they have an accompanying website where you can download the recipes.
I guess I wasn't clear. I meant that one of the things I like about Chef John is that there is an accompanying website with a properly formatted recipe. There are other YouTubers who have the written out recipe on a website, but too many don't bother. All you can copy is the transcription. I don't think the transcriptions have been there all that long. I'm thinking that it is less than a year since transcriptions became fairly ubiquitous on YouTube.

I don't watch them at all either. Don't want to sit through demonstrations on how to do things (or how NOT to do things sometimes) that I already know how to do. Jusy give me a written recipe that I can quickly skim through to see if I want to bother with it.

I remember watching him in the beginning. He used to be an animator at Disney. When the pandemic subsided in 2021, he was offered his job back; he took a leap of faith and turned them down to work on the channel full-time. He started getting more and more sponsors and last year wrote a book. I love his show.

I also sometimes watch his show. He's good. He makes a pretty good income, according to the YouTube income sites. Best guesstimate I found is low six figures.

He appears on Guga's channels from time to time. They have become pretty good friends.

I also watch Mythical Kitchen from time-to-time. Sometimes they are a bit over the top for me, but other times, I really enjoy the show. The host, Josh, had a verbal battle going on for a few years with Gordon Ramsay. Josh would say, "Gordon, you are wrong about this," and show why he thought Gordon was wrong. Gordon would call Josh silly names in response -- it was all in good humor, though. Then Gordon came on Mythical Kitchen, for a thing they call "Your Last Meal." Gordon was seriously impressed by the food prepared for him by the "Mythical Kitcheneers." They are now good friends. Gordon had Josh on one of his YouTube shows. Go figure.

Here is that episode. It is long, but you do get to see a softer side of Gordon Ramsay.

CD

Link jump?

That is where you click links posted on a board. From that first jump the website that you visit you click on another link from that website and so on and so on. I learn lots of cool things that way. It is a game I wanted to play here but I didn't know if it would go over. You have all the members paste a link to a site they enjoy and people get to know each other through their links. Also the links can't be an advertisement or anything like that. For example: I might post a link to my Star Wars Artist Website and you might post a link to a special museum in your area. DC might post a link to funny pictures. See how it works. :)

I also sometimes watch his show. He's good. He makes a pretty good income, according to the YouTube income sites. Best guesstimate I found is low six figures.

He appears on Guga's channels from time to time. They have become pretty good friends.

I also watch Mythical Kitchen from time-to-time. Sometimes they are a bit over the top for me, but other times, I really enjoy the show. The host, Josh, had a verbal battle going on for a few years with Gordon Ramsay. Josh would say, "Gordon, you are wrong about this," and show why he thought Gordon was wrong. Gordon would call Josh silly names in response -- it was all in good humor, though. Then Gordon came on Mythical Kitchen, for a thing they call "Your Last Meal." Gordon was seriously impressed by the food prepared for him by the "Mythical Kitcheneers." They are now good friends. Gordon had Josh on one of his YouTube shows. Go figure.

Here is that episode. It is long, but you do get to see a softer side of Gordon Ramsay.

CD

I enjoyed the video of Josh and Uncle Roger talking about the British Bake Off cooks Mexican Food episode..

I am shocked that you don't watch the competition just to see what they are up too... LOL

Sort of like Corporate Espionage. Makes you feel all happy and superior when you know that you produce a better product. :giggle:
I'm retired. I don't care what the competition is doing because there is no longer any competition.

I know I have some videos somewhere. I will send them to you when I find them.

Last edited:
I enjoyed the video of Josh and Uncle Roger talking about the British Bake Off cooks Mexican Food episode..

Uncle Roger appeared on an episode of Mythical Kitchen. He did most of the show NOT wearing his trademark orange polo shirt. During that time, he also used his own real accent. He did a short segment in the shirt, using his Uncle Roger extreme Asian accent. That alone was very interesting.

CD

I enjoy watching YouTube purely for entertainment. I like historical cooking channels, and I do confess that I love my nephew-in-law's channel that is a mix of education and humor geared to "pet parents." My father's 80+ year old first cousin posts family stories and a few recipes on there. My guilty pleasure is the Zen-like Country Life Vlog. There is VERY little talking as this family lives their lives and prepares many things that are pretty unique to me. The very early episodes are of an extremely simple life. Nowadays, it seems they have access to much more but it is still a simple life.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom