Is my method for separating frozen sausages good in your opinion?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes. Something rigid but not sharp like knife so a slip won't cost you a nasty cut. Yes, it has a thicker profile but will do the job.
That would definitely require the stainless steel chopsticks as opposed to wooden.

But, again, I started freezing my hot dogs/sausages individually, then putting them into a large freezer bag. Much easier for me, since I don't use that many at one time (maybe one or two). Got tired of using a knife to break off the pieces I needed from the entire frozen brick.

Sometimes a good hard whack on the counter will separate them.
Very true. But that can trigger my "eeeek!" reflex, that makes me shiver. You know, like when you're watching a horror movie and you see some trapped person trying to dig their way out of whatever they're trapped in and they scrape and break their fingernails on a wall or a wooden box, etc.

(just thinking about that sent chills down my spine)

That's my "eeeek!" reflex. And, for some reason, hitting something forcefully onto a hard surface will trigger it. I don't know why.

Very true. But that can trigger my "eeeek!" reflex, that makes me shiver. You know, like when you're watching a horror movie and you see some trapped person trying to dig their way out of whatever they're trapped in and they scrape and break their fingernails on a wall or a wooden box, etc.

(just thinking about that sent chills down my spine)

That's my "eeeek!" reflex. And, for some reason, hitting something forcefully onto a hard surface will trigger it. I don't know why.
Have you tried throwing them onto the floor? That's my go to method for separating frozen veggies. I find it works better than on the counter. I put some force into that throw to the floor. ;)

Edited to add that the sound is coming from further away from the floor, so it might not bother you as much.

Have you tried throwing them onto the floor? That's my go to method for separating frozen veggies. I find it works better than on the counter. I put some force into that throw to the floor. ;)

Edited to add that the sound is coming from further away from the floor, so it might not bother you as much.
I do the same thing with bags of ice. With frozen veggies, I can get away with just setting the bag on the counter and pounding it with my fist (unless the chunks are frozen solid and difficult to break up with just my fist, then I'll need to use a rolling pin or a mallet, otherwise that "eeek" factor will kick in). That doesn't bother me as much as whacking a rock hard pack of sausages (way too many puns there) onto the counter.

But good suggestion tossing it onto the floor. I'll try that next time I'm faced with a frozen package of stuff I need to break apart. (y)

But remember Seeing-to-believe gets his sausages already frozen in a solid block. You saw the picture he posted. Separating them to freeze when not frozen to begin with is different than purchasing them already a solid chunk of... uh huh.. uh huh... you know it's true!

But remember Seeing-to-believe gets his sausages already frozen in a solid block. You saw the picture he posted. Separating them to freeze when not frozen to begin with is different than purchasing them already a solid chunk of... uh huh.. uh huh... you know it's true!
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh...... I missed that part of the conversation. How I missed it, I have no idea. I didn't read where he said he buys them already frozen.

ADD in full swing :cautious:

I don't ADD has anything to do with it Linda. Majority of people, once a thread gets going, forget what the original specific question was. They focus on the gist, never the nitty gritty.
That's how threads get hi-jacked into some other thing. But really - that's OK! makes for an interesting conversation, no?

I don't ADD has anything to do with it Linda. Majority of people, once a thread gets going, forget what the original specific question was. They focus on the gist, never the nitty gritty.
That's how threads get hi-jacked into some other thing. But really - that's OK! makes for an interesting conversation, no?
Well, as I always say, conversations evolve. ;)

A chopstick??? :unsure:
A cooking chopstick might work. They're quite a bit larger and thicker than the ones you eat with.

Saibashi_with_normal_hashi-250.jpg

I do the same thing with bags of ice. With frozen veggies, I can get away with just setting the bag on the counter and pounding it with my fist (unless the chunks are frozen solid and difficult to break up with just my fist, then I'll need to use a rolling pin or a mallet...
Frozen vegetables usually require Maxwell's silver hammer.

31z7xa4kXPL.jpg

I have a counter top ice machine which I use to fill a bin that I keep in the freezer. When I need to separate the cubes, I get a large Santoku and give them the Norman Bates treatment.

tumblr_mz63kbdMY51t2aywao1_500.gif

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom