Is my method for separating frozen sausages good in your opinion?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Good lesson on "how to break and bend a good knife". and a precursor to potential "how to go about stabbing yourself"!

Seeing-t-b, I'm sorry, I know what I just wrote is sarcastic but please, please, please I hope you don't use that method.
If those sausages are in a sealed plastic bag, just float them in some water (cold not hot) for a while.

and yes, you could also defrost them in a microwave, 10 or 20 second bursts and you will soon be able to break off as many sausages as you want.

If the intention is to use only a few sausages and put the rest back in the freezer - both the above methods do not have to defrost them completely. You can remove some when loosened and return the rest to the freezer. Even should some of the edges be a little defrosted there is no harm done in refreezing them.

Plus for future reference:- Freeze your sausages separately when you first get them home. Lay them out on some parchment on a cookie sheet, freeze solid, repackage them loosely.

ok
i see
tnx
anyway i buy them frozen becase this is the way they sell sausges in israel.

its frozen unless it is cheap cooked hotdogs

Good lesson on "how to break and bend a good knife". and a precursor to potential "how to go about stabbing yourself"!

Seeing-t-b, I'm sorry, I know what I just wrote is sarcastic but please, please, please I hope you don't use that method.
If those sausages are in a sealed plastic bag, just float them in some water (cold not hot) for a while.

and yes, you could also defrost them in a microwave, 10 or 20 second bursts and you will soon be able to break off as many sausages as you want.

If the intention is to use only a few sausages and put the rest back in the freezer - both the above methods do not have to defrost them completely. You can remove some when loosened and return the rest to the freezer. Even should some of the edges be a little defrosted there is no harm done in refreezing them.

Plus for future reference:- Freeze your sausages separately when you first get them home. Lay them out on some parchment on a cookie sheet, freeze solid, repackage them loosely.
I was just going to say the same exact thing. That's how I do it. I keep the bag of hot dogs in the door of my freezer and just grab one or two at a time.

I hear Seeting-t-b. I sort of thought that perhaps that is how you purchased them in the first place - after I posted! LOL
I still suggested that you partially defrost and repackage individually. Once you do that, they may stick a little bit to each other but will be very easy to break apart when you want just 3.
I also suggest you use the water method. It is far less likely to accidently cook some of the edges.
If the plastic bag they come in has a good seal, you might even be able to check them several times in the water by picking them up and try separating with out removing them. Think that would depend on just how good the plastic is though, but worth a try.

Water or micro is how I defrost all my shrimp. As I buy my shrimp with the shell on - and I never think to take them out of the freezer before I want to cook, so I use the micro. Lay them out on paper towels on a plate, single layer and zap in micro for 10 second bursts. Sometimes the tails get a bit pink but that's fine because as soon as I peel them they are going in the pan anyhow!

I have found frozen sausages to break apart quite easily without thawing. I do it all the time.
For the occasional time when they do not break apart, I lightly defrost in the microwave, break apart what's needed and return the rest to the freezer.
I can thaw out a package of those sausages in no time on my aluminum griddle designed for the middle of my cook top. It is amazing how quickly things will thaw on aluminum.
The trick is to remove items from the styrofoam tray (it's an insulator) and lightly wrap with plastic wrap.
I do this a lot. Keep in mind, the thicker the aluminum plate, the faster things will thaw out.

I have been doing it the same way you are doing it in your video for at least 30 years and I haven't broken a knife yet, and it's a butter knife so I haven't stabbed myself in 30 years either. I use the same method to separate frozen hamburger patties that are stuck together.

I thaw them in the microwave, but I don't turn it on. I just wrap the item(s) in paper towel to absorb any resulting water. I put them in the microwave to keep the cat from dragging them off to her hidey hole when I'm not looking!

LOL, I once put the bread in the toaster oven as I had to go out and the dog regularly "swept" the counters clean.
Came home to an open toaster oven door and the plastic bread bag shredded across the livingroom floor.
No bread not even a crumb in sight.

In the days before microwaves we used to run frozen sausages, chicken legs, etc… under cold running water to melt the ice that was holding them together.

It was a bit messy but it worked.

LOL, I once put the bread in the toaster oven as I had to go out and the dog regularly "swept" the counters clean.
Came home to an open toaster oven door and the plastic bread bag shredded across the livingroom floor.
No bread not even a crumb in sight.
Thankfully, Kameko hasn't learned to open the microwave yet. But she can open those heavy duty white bags that OptumRx ships my Meds in.

53617801159_c22456ea8c_n.jpg

Okay I opened the damn bag.
Where do you want the pills?​

Last edited:
LOL Yukinoko is the name of one of my guardians and babysitter of small children.
1723062203331.jpeg

ps, I could see her (Kameko) markings which is sort of why I knew her name origins.

Yes, Kameko means turtle in Japanese, and she is a tortoise shell, with the typical tortitude! Her eyes are blue.

View attachment 70245
Aww, she's so pretty. And, of course, in a box. All I have to do is toss a box onto the floor and my cats (I have two) are in it, post-haste!

In fact, my black cat is in his box right now. He literally lives in that thing and only comes out to eat or use the litter box. :ROFLMAO:

Somebody told me that an empty box is how you catch a cat that doesn't want to be caught. I have several pictures of Kameko in a box. Maybe I should have named her Jack instead?

53495695302_d5ab19a314_m.jpg
53563579484_43482a5443_m.jpg
53563699750_7a72e35eaa_n.jpg
This is where she was
53517067258_552aa0cc9e_m.jpg
when she decided to get into this box!
53533115841_617b6997da_m.jpg

She likes to show off how small a box she can squeeze her bony ass into.
53517216649_c66105364a_m.jpg

But she also enjoys watching Chicage Fire every Wednesday!
53516014867_c7d6ce2231_m.jpg

Last edited:
In the days before microwaves we used to run frozen sausages, chicken legs, etc… under cold running water to melt the ice that was holding them together.

It was a bit messy but it worked.
Yeah, but I can still do that now. And it’s not just about the sausages.

Somebody told me that an empty box is how you catch a cat that doesn't want to be caught. I have several pictures of Kameko in a box. Maybe I should have named her Jack instead?

53563579484_43482a5443_m.jpg
53563699750_7a72e35eaa_n.jpg
This is where she was
53517067258_552aa0cc9e_m.jpg
when she decided to get into this box!
53533115841_617b6997da_m.jpg

She likes to show off how small a box she can squeeze her bony ass into.
53517216649_c66105364a_m.jpg

But she also enjoys watching Chicage Fire every Wednesday!
53516014867_c7d6ce2231_m.jpg
Haha, I love this.

My cat watches TV as well. She'll also get up here on my computer desk and try and 'catch' the cursor on the screen as I move my mouse around.

Back
Top Bottom