Instant Pot® Hard Boiled Eggs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kaneohegirlinaz

Wannabe TV Chef
Central/Northern AZ, gateway to The Grand Canyon
4th attempt in my new Instant Pot®

IMG_6476.jpg

IMG_6477.jpg

I used this technique:
https://omnivorescookbook.com/instant-pot-eggs/
8 minutes + added 1 minute for altitude
From start to finish, total time was 17 1/2 minutes :huh:

I feel as though these are over done, not what I was going for.
Can you see that little bit of the grey/green ring around the yolk?

I think I'll stick with my T&T method on the stovetop :glare:

Most people do the 555 method. 5 minute pressure cook, 5 minute natural release, 5 minute water bath.

I like my stove top method better.

Last edited:
I do that 555 method, too, and 9 out of 10 are the best looking HB eggs I ever have made, with not a bit of green, and I've never been able to peel them as easily, using any other method. I have an occasional one with green, and usually on one end, not covering the entire yolk. Have no idea what the reason in. I've seen some "chefs" give just 4-4-5 method, but I've had some with a small uncooked area of yolk in the center.

I did find out one thing - the older eggs seem to cook better in that egg rack I got, with that set of accessories, in which I can stack 7 of them with the large end up. I think lying flat in the original rack, that comes with the IP, the bubble sort of makes some cook less evenly. But I'm just guessing.

HB egg, using the 555 method in the IP by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Last edited:
Honestly, that page has some odd advice ....

I make hard boiled eggs in my IP all the time and they come out perfect every time. I pressure cook for 4 minutes and let them sit for 5 minutes before releasing pressure. So a 4-5 method. I never use a special egg rack and sometimes don’t use a trivet. I just pile the eggs in and let ‘er rip.

8 minutes under high pressure is too long.

I’d recommend switching to a method like 5-5-5, maybe adjusting for altitude by adding a minute so it’s 6-6-5. Experiment with just one or two eggs until you get the result you want.

The only time I make IP eggs is when I use the IP for potato salad.
Place potatoes and eggs in the IP and cook 5 minutes w/qr.

The eggs come out to the firmness we prefer.

Ross

Honestly, that page has some odd advice ....

I make hard boiled eggs in my IP all the time and they come out perfect every time. I pressure cook for 4 minutes and let them sit for 5 minutes before releasing pressure. So a 4-5 method. I never use a special egg rack and sometimes don’t use a trivet. I just pile the eggs in and let ‘er rip.

8 minutes under high pressure is too long.

I’d recommend switching to a method like 5-5-5, maybe adjusting for altitude by adding a minute so it’s 6-6-5. Experiment with just one or two eggs until you get the result you want.
That's what I do, too. Works perfectly and I love how the peel practically falls off.

I do that 555 method, too, and 9 out of 10 are the best looking HB eggs I ever have made, with not a bit of green, and I've never been able to peel them as easily, using any other method. I have an occasional one with green, and usually on one end, not covering the entire yolk. Have no idea what the reason in.

The green happens when the egg is overcooked; some of the sulfur they contain becomes visible.

I find that the shells are still hard to peel sometimes.

The green happens when the egg is overcooked; some of the sulfur they contain becomes visible.

What doesn't make sense is that only one, occasionally, will get the green, in the same batch that all the rest were fine! And I don't think there's a hot spot in the pot - it would happen every time. Just something weird about certain eggs.

Yeah, I don't know exactly what causes it. Possibly a slight excess of sulfur in that part of the egg. When I showed my neighbor how to make them, one had a blow-out from a slight crack or weakness in the shell.

If you have peeling problems it’s likely you used fresh eggs, no matter what method you used to cook them.

Old eggs peel more easily. So if you have some eggs in the fridge that are beyond their use by date, hard boil them instead of throwing them away.

If you have peeling problems it’s likely you used fresh eggs, no matter what method you used to cook them.

Old eggs peel more easily. So if you have some eggs in the fridge that are beyond their use by date, hard boil them instead of throwing them away.

Interesting. Thank you. :)

Ross

I find that the shells are still hard to peel sometimes.
Use older eggs (closer to their expiration date). For a reason I am not going into right now, old eggs peel easier than fresher eggs. It has to do with the internal membrane and carbon dioxide.

I have never tried cooking eggs in my Instant Pot. I put them in a pot with cold water, bring them to a boil, boil for 2 minutes, remove from heat and cover for 10 minutes, then run cold water into the pot until the eggs can be easily handled with bare hands.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom