I'm So Old That I Remember...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yep, I remember when the Ed Sullivan show was 8:00 on a Sunday night, followed by Bonanza.
The Wonderful World of Disney was another must watch.

There must have been a terrible furniture shortage during the 50s and 60s.😂😉

1709671354359.jpeg

I'm amazed that an east coast company in USA delivers to London!
I know there is a London in Ontario, so I figured there might be one in the US too. There are a number of them. One of those is in Ohio, which is one of the regions The Modern Milkman website lists

From Wikipedia,

United States​

What part of Los Angeles? That's an awful lot of area with some extremely different neighbourhoods. I grew up in a suburb of L.A., which is technically part of L.A. Kids did some sort of hybrid of front door, back door. It depended on the situation. It could be either. Well, we had neighbours with an in ground pool. No going to their back door. We neighbours who had trained guard dogs. No going to the back door at their houses either.

I have no idea what the area was called. It bordered Long Beach or was near to it. I lived in Long Beach and her parents were roughly 30 minutes away. The neighborhood did not have a suburb-like feel to it.

No trained guard dogs, but my grandparents had a German Shepard who guarded their property and persons well....unless bribed with a fig newton cookie. However, do not run out of the cookies prior to getting into the house! 🤣

I loved Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom. "I'm going to sit in the jeep and enjoy these mai tais while Jim brings out the Tasmanian Devil." Camera pans from Marlin who looks down at the animal stoically, and then pans over to Jim rumpled, dusty, and out of breath." :giggle:

I was born in Santa Monica and grew up in Mar Vista and Venice. Long Beach was a freeway drive away...once we got the FIRST freeway in L.A.... :ROFLMAO:
Hmm, I don't actually remember when there weren't freeways in L.A. and I'm older than dirt. So, I had to look it up. The oldest freeway in Los Angeles is the Arroyo Seco Parkway, also known as the Pasadena Freeway, opened in 1940, though a section less than a mile long opened in 1938. The Hollywood Freeway also opened in 1940.

So, are you saying that you remember when there weren't any freeways in L.A.?

Hmm, I don't actually remember when there weren't freeways in L.A. and I'm older than dirt. So, I had to look it up. The oldest freeway in Los Angeles is the Arroyo Seco Parkway, also known as the Pasadena Freeway, opened in 1940, though a section less than a mile long opened in 1938. The Hollywood Freeway also opened in 1940.

So, are you saying that you remember when there weren't any freeways in L.A.?
I don't remember any freeways before the 405 Freeway. I'm not sure when the part nearest my house was completed...sometime in the 60's...but I have a vague memory of Dad taking us to Long Beach and The Pike amusement park. Back then, we called it the Long Beach Freeway and it was a big deal! I'm betting I remember it more because of where we went.

We didn't travel a lot. We had only 1 car. If Mom needed to go somewhere, she/we walked or we took a bus.

the whole theory and execution of "freeways" aka "limited access highways" is all post WW2.

in reality, automobile traffic pre-WW2 was not a big thing - even "divided highways" were unknown.

1959 - road trip to Florida - took three days down, and three days back.
no interstate, nothing but two lane roads wandering through every town and stop light between PA and FL....

it was DDE aka "Ike" aka President Eisenhower that put the interstate idea into motion - based on what he saw/experienced from the German "Autobahn"

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom