How do you use grilling cheese?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

taxlady

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
I have some grilling cheese. It's locally made and similar to haloumi in that it can be grilled or fried without melting to a puddle. If it was at your house, how would you use it?

here yuh go Roll Bones. Kinds of grilling cheese and how and what to do with them.

Grilling Cheese article from Serious Eats

I don't do it often. A couple of times I've put it in the pan with the meat. I use the same spices/marinade that I've used for the meat and/or other vegies. I quite like it and would do it more often but don't feel like doing a whole package.

We use it in one of these two ways:
- Make saganaki: dredge slices of the cheese in flour seasoned with Greek seasoning or za'atar and brown it on both sides in hot olive oil. When it's almost done, pour a shot of liquor in the pan and set it on fire. When the flame dies down, squeeze a half lemon over it and serve with bread.
- Grill it. Brush both sides with olive oil and grill. Sprinkle with za'atar and serve with bread or wrap it in pita with lettuce, tomato, cucumbers and yogurt or tahini sauce, like a gyro or shawarma.

I marinate the slices in ouzo for a couple of hours before dredging and frying when I make saganaki, and then use the rest of the ouzo to flame.

Honestly, I grill it On a charcoal grill. But I always think it’s too dry and plain, so I invent sauces for it.
I assume that you don't fire up the charcoal grill just to do the cheese. What else are you grilling when you do grill it?

I like the sagenaki suggestions. I guess I was mostly wondering what to serve it with and serving it as sagenaki with bread or pita sounds pretty good. The Greek seasoning or za'atar seasoning sound like they would really enhance it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom