How do I marinade in vacuum sealer bags?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Man, if getting a bit of raw food in your mouth is dangerous, I should be dead by now. My mom used to have me drink the "blood" from packages of steak when I was a kid. And she used to blend raw eggs into chocolate milk on really cold mornings.

Getting a tiny drop of raw meat liquid in your mouth for a split second shouldn't be that dangerous to anyone except for those with really weak immune systems. Even for chicken, just spit and rinse if that happens. It's gross, but it shouldn't send you to the hospital.

However, I've done that trick with the straw many times, and it's never happened.

The best way to marinate meats with a vacu-sealer thing is in a hard container made for it. That way you are actuallylowering the atmospheric pressure inside the container which forces the marinade into the meat. A plastic bag can only be lowered a fraction below normal pressure.

Last edited:
If you have a Foodsaver like I did once, they sold an optional square plastic container with a lid that you attached the Foodsaver tube to. Unfortunately, the lid wouldn't seat well enough and the air got back inside it. It could also have been a leaky knob on top that you turned to the "lock" position.

As far as using vaacum bags to marinate, I'd think you'd want as little of the marinade liquid as possible before vaacuming out the air (along with the paper towel method).

I would think that freezing would defeat allowing the marinade to seep in.

Come to think of it, using a bag wouldn't be that effective a time saver, since you want the maximum amount of air removed in order to expand the cells of the meat. I don't think you'd reach that degree of air removal while trying to keep the liquid from being sucked out too. It just wouldn't evacuate effectively with that lower level of air removal.

Last edited:
If you have a Foodsaver like I did once, they sold an optional square plastic container with a lid that you attached the Foodsaver tube to. Unfortunately, the lid wouldn't seat well enough and the air got back inside it. It could also have been a leaky knob on top that you turned to the "lock" position.

As far as using vaacum bags to marinate, I'd think you'd want as little of the marinade liquid as possible before vaacuming out the air (along with the paper towel method).
Pretty much what I said several posts back. ;)

Back
Top Bottom