Garden 2024

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I propagated peas last 10 years 100% success on 10 plants
Mid spring I planted
Handed over to wife to plant out, we were eating xmas day. She froze when picked
I planted another 20 plants out early summer. We are picking again. I'll look at brand when downstairs.
Spring here is September thru November
Summer
December thru February.

Russ

I saw this article on NPR about this gorgeous new purple GMO tomato, the first GMO plant available, and marketed to, home gardeners, and I couldn't resist 😍 They have extra genes added from a snapdragon to increase the amount of anthocynanins, an antioxidant that gives fruits and flowers their purple color.

I'm going to share some of the seeds with my master gardener group to plant in our vegetable display garden. Thought some of you adventurous gardeners might be interested.
Screenshot_20240218-111829_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
I've seen these in articles, never first hand. I wondered if the colors were as vivid as the pics, or they were jus enhanced. I'm curious to see how yours turn out/ compare with the pics I've seen. Thanks for sharing & keep us posted.

I've seen these in articles, never first hand. I wondered if the colors were as vivid as the pics, or they were jus enhanced. I'm curious to see how yours turn out/ compare with the pics I've seen. Thanks for sharing & keep us posted.
According to this, they look like plums on the inside. I don't know why they would falsify the way they look when they're trying to get people to accept something new.

According to this, they look like plums on the inside. I don't know why they would falsify the way they look when they're trying to get people to accept something new.
As long as the seeds are gotten from a reliable, respectable source, then Im pretty sure they would live up to their expectation. But I have gotten sub-par seeds or mislabeled seeds in the past. Hopefully they look as good as they do in the pcs, and taste even better :)

I just found the above article, I clicked "translate to English", I hope it makes sense.
I didn't know that originally, tomatoes were actually purple/blue/violet and only became red through a DNA mutation. 🤔

Got about 6 inches of snow a week ago. I thought for sure that this was when the leave greens would finally meet their match. About this time last year is when my garden from the previous year finally came to an end. The snow has started to melt , and from what I can see, the greens appear to have survived. The next week or two shows a warming trend, so looks like I'll still be putting home grown salad on my weekly menus until they go to seed or they have to be ripped up for the next crop. Here are the pics of the snow covered area, the melting, and the greens underneath ( arugula, leaf lettuce , kale ( poor picture), and charged poking through the snow.

Attachments

• Snow 1 .png
    Snow 1 .png
    1.4 MB · Views: 12
  • Snow 2 .png
    Snow 2 .png
    1.5 MB · Views: 10
  • Snow arugula .png
    Snow arugula .png
    1.6 MB · Views: 9
  • Snow lettuce .png
    Snow lettuce .png
    1.8 MB · Views: 11
  • Snow kale.png
    Snow kale.png
    346 KB · Views: 11
  • Snow chard.png
    Snow chard.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 9
I have a patch of dirt about 3 ft wide all along the driveway (about 30 ft long - I have a shared driveway so I'm just doing my side). Anyway, last year I laid a ton of dirt on this patch for the first 20 feet and then covered it with a bark mulch to keep the weeds down.

This year I finally opened up some bags of dirt for the next 10 feet. I was going to cover that with bark, but I think I need more dirt and I can't get any until next month now. Meantime, I was going to weed the center patch where the driveway splits (the other owner has his part covered in grass) and then I was going to weed my rock garden beds.

But then it snowed and although the snow is all gone, now it's non-stop raining. And in addition, a windstorm blew my net fence all to hell and the recent snow collapsed my canopy again. So now I have to drag the canopy out into the yard and put up the net fencing again so if I do have any plants, the deer won't eat them.

But it's the driveway I need to really get going on. I have 40 iris bulbs that should have been planted last fall and they'll be going in in a couple weeks now. No wonder nothing grows when I plant it!

Girl after my own patterns. Every year after I buy many flats my sSIL always asks where did I hide the unplanted flats that never make it into the ground.

Got about 6 inches of snow a week ago. I thought for sure that this was when the leave greens would finally meet their match. About this time last year is when my garden from the previous year finally came to an end. The snow has started to melt , and from what I can see, the greens appear to have survived. The next week or two shows a warming trend, so looks like I'll still be putting home grown salad on my weekly menus until they go to seed or they have to be ripped up for the next crop. Here are the pics of the snow covered area, the melting, and the greens underneath ( arugula, leaf lettuce , kale ( poor picture), and charged poking through the snow.

Love the greens, don't like the snow!

We usually produce our own from our olive plantations, but last Autumn, olive production was "next to nothing" , so no Evo. 😢

We usually produce our own from our olive plantations, but last Autumn, olive production was "next to nothing" , so no Evo. 😢
Sorry, I posted in the wrong thread, should have been in the "Fake oil" thread😔

Love the greens, don't like the snow!
I dont mind the snow, until March 1st. After that, my mind is in Garden Mode and I consider the snow just something that is preventing me from getting down and dirty. Comes March I want to start prepping the Onion, potato, leek and leafy green beds so Iim ready to go when they need to go in the ground. IIf the ground is covered with snow or frozen solid, not much I can do. Although today I diid prune some fruit trees.

We haven't pruned the fruit trees enough yet, and I have a flower circle we need to prune. Unfortunately, we worked in the basement instead today, 57 deg F in WI, very warm for us.
We started 2/3rds of our flats for indoors for onions, more next week. We started asparagus seed, and herb seed, in jugs for winter sowing, those are outside now. Labeled, watered, ready to let nature take its course.

We haven't pruned the fruit trees enough yet, and I have a flower circle we need to prune. Unfortunately, we worked in the basement instead today, 57 deg F in WI, very warm for us.
We started 2/3rds of our flats for indoors for onions, more next week. We started asparagus seed, and herb seed, in jugs for winter sowing, those are outside now. Labeled, watered, ready to let nature take its course.

80F today here, with a good South wind. Still a few weeks early to plant my herbs. I'm starting over from bare dirt this year, with a much smaller garden. No peppers this summer. The last few summers have been too hot for any pepper plants to set fruit until October, and then I got a bunch in one month, so most of them went to waste. I already have plenty of dried and frozen chili peppers. I have enough dried chilis to last me at least another year.

CD

@caseydog We eat a lot (HUGE AMOUNT) of red and yellow and orange peppers, so we always grow them (dehydrate or freeze) but the serranos and hatch we only grow every other year or so. Last year I grew the serranos and now I have dried serranos for making hot sauce or whatever we need hot. Thanks for reminding me, I do need to start fermenting some hot sauce for myself. Mr bliss doesn't care for hot.

Reminds me, @pepperhead212 there's a 'not hot' pepper that you grow, that you've talked about. You've said how much you like it and it has a 'good flavor'. Any chance we could do a trade of seeds (just 12 seeds would do) or I can send you $2/for the trouble. I have many types of tomatoes or bell peppers (red yellow orange), or parsley? PM me if you feel like it.

@rodentraiser We have deer here but so many homes and landscaping they mostly have eaten the apples. We run them off if we see them. The garlic and onions seem to repel them, they don't care for either one. We plant them in rows where we want to interrupt the deer from going into the more juicy plants. If they always come to the garden from one direction, then plant onions there. Even if you just plant flowers, the onions are hardly noticeable.
andrewfawns.jpg

One year we trapped 13 raccoons, that was worse!
traps-005.jpg

We have also had skunks, possums, and fox. Of course, there are the bunnies and squirrels too!

You must be referring to Aji dulce, @blissful. That is a very mild habanero - maybe 500 SUs - with that intense flavor the good habaneros have. It always seemed that the best were also some of the hottest! Some, like Habanada, had no heat, but also very little habanero flavor.

Are you still doing the winter sowing?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom