Favorite Veggie Burger?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
D. None of the above
Would you consider one if the bread was made of meat?

I don't know if you are a carnivore or omnivore, not that it matters. One thing I like about carnivores is that if I can enjoy a meal across from one, we can both order from the menu at most restaurants. I'll send my steak/chicken/seafood over to you, you can send your veggies/potatoes/veggie soup, over to me, and we'll both be happy.

I am an omnivore, I'm just not a big fan of making something you want to eat look like something you choose not to eat. That is fake food. If you refuse to eat a hamburger for any reason, have a salad!

Last edited by a moderator:
I am an omnivore, I'm just not a big fan of making something you want to eat look like something you choose not to eat. That is fake food. If you refuse to eat a hamburger for any reason, have a salad!
A salad won't have as much protein as a veggie burger made with beans or other vegetable protein.

I sort of understand not wanting food that is pretending to be something it isn't. But, a veggie burger, to me, is no more fake food than a burger made of lamb or of chicken, as long as you don't call it a hamburger, which of course, is not made of ham. If someone made a pork patty and served it the same way as one serves a hamburger, would you object to that being called a pork burger?

A salad won't have as much protein as a veggie burger made with beans or other vegetable protein.
How about a bean salad? I'll take that over a plant-based imitation of a beef burger any day.

I sort of understand not wanting food that is pretending to be something it isn't. But, a veggie burger, to me, is no more fake food than a burger made of lamb or of chicken, as long as you don't call it a hamburger, which of course, is not made of ham. If someone made a pork patty and served it the same way as one serves a hamburger, would you object to that being called a pork burger?

I think the tipping point is when big companies market plant-based, usually highly processed patties as if eating them is "just like eating a burger." Impossible Burger and Beyond Beef patties are a good example. "Just Like Beef, but Vegan!"

Like I said before, some of these imitation burgers aren't one bit healthier, or even have a smaller carbon footprint. Just be honest about what you're selling.

CD

How about a bean salad? I'll take that over a plant-based imitation of a beef burger any day.

I think the tipping point is when big companies market plant-based, usually highly processed patties as if eating them is "just like eating a burger." Impossible Burger and Beyond Beef patties are a good example. "Just Like Beef, but Vegan!"

Like I said before, some of these imitation burgers aren't one bit healthier, or even have a smaller carbon footprint. Just be honest about what you're selling.

CD
Yeah, that would be over the line for me too. I would object less to "tastes like beef", even though I would be skeptical.

I was of the opinion if you don't want to eat meat - I've got no problem. But don't pretend a vegie burger is a hamburger.
I have since changed my mind.
It is not easy to change your life long style of living when you want to
either a) not kill animals and b) want/need to improve your health.
It is like trying to quit smoking - you know it's not healthy but you've been smoking since you were 14 years old. That is an extremely hard habit to change. (please, let's NNOT get into the medical part of smoking)

I was of the opinion if you don't want to eat meat - I've got no problem. But don't pretend a vegie burger is a hamburger.
I have since changed my mind.
It is not easy to change your life long style of living when you want to
either a) not kill animals and b) want/need to improve your health.
It is like trying to quit smoking - you know it's not healthy but you've been smoking since you were 14 years old. That is an extremely hard habit to change. (please, let's NNOT get into the medical part of smoking)

Hmmmm, smoked vegan burgers. :unsure:

Probably nnot.

CD

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom