Do you use bacon grease generally instead of other oils?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
gerardj, my mom mixed in peanut butter, cracked corn and peanuts, rather than almonds (too $$) in her mixture. She would hang the balls in old onion nets. She also had several logs she had drill large holes in that she stuffed with the mixture and hung those too.

Wonderful to watch them, miss them.

Using bacon grease in special recipes can add a rich and savory flavor. However, it's high in saturated fats and sodium, so moderation is key. Downsides include potential health risks if consumed excessively. Additionally, strong bacon flavor may not complement all dishes.
we had a 55 gallon steel drum at our restaurant for discarded fat, it was full every 2 weeks, off to the soap factory. never saw bacon dripping used in any restaurant, rendered lard yes.

its all fun until the first heart attack, i look at how home bakers put salt in everything, its even used as garnish on cookies now.

we had a 55 gallon steel drum at our restaurant for discarded fat, it was full every 2 weeks, off to the soap factory. never saw bacon dripping used in any restaurant, rendered lard yes.

its all fun until the first heart attack, i look at how home bakers put salt in everything, its even used as garnish on cookies now.
Fortunately, newer studies have shown that eating fat and salt don't cause high blood cholesterol or pressure. They can exacerbate an existing problem, but they're not the cause.

Very true GG, hopefully people will begin to understand that. AND hopefully they will FULLY understand about the pre-existing part and not go overboard in the opposite direction.

Fortunately, newer studies have shown that eating fat and salt don't cause high blood cholesterol or pressure. They can exacerbate an existing problem, but they're not the cause.
that could be true but the problem with studies is the next one oft contradicts a previous one.

that could be true but the problem with studies is the next one oft contradicts a previous one.
A popular general statement that in actual scientific analysis doesn't really say much of anything. Basically, finding evidence that supports an argument doesn't necessarily make it an evidence based argument. Research design, the data collection, the data analysis, the interpretation, the replication, confounders, conflicts of interest all can be discussed.

Maybe support your argument with the study or studies that support your argument that if I'm not mistaken, is that saturated fat causes heart disease. :)

That's when a meta analysis of a selection of well designed studies is valuable. From Saturated Fats and Health: A Reassessment and Proposal for Food-Based Recommendations: JACC State-of-the-Art Review
Abstract
The recommendation to limit dietary saturated fatty acid (SFA) intake has persisted despite mounting evidence to the contrary. Most recent meta-analyses of randomized trials and observational studies found no beneficial effects of reducing SFA intake on cardiovascular disease (CVD) and total mortality, and instead found protective effects against stroke. Although SFAs increase low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol, in most individuals, this is not due to increasing levels of small, dense LDL particles, but rather larger LDL particles, which are much less strongly related to CVD risk. It is also apparent that the health effects of foods cannot be predicted by their content in any nutrient group without considering the overall macronutrient distribution. Whole-fat dairy, unprocessed meat, and dark chocolate are SFA-rich foods with a complex matrix that are not associated with increased risk of CVD. The totality of available evidence does not support further limiting the intake of such foods.

I love it when I'm feeling lazy and not really in the mood to go searching for good studies or for reading editorials being passed off by the poster as a study, that there are people here who step up. I'm thinking specifically of GotGarlic and pictonguy. Thank you. BTW, gotta love when a chef (pictonguy) understands science and can explain stuff well.

I love it when I'm feeling lazy and not really in the mood to go searching for good studies or for reading editorials being passed off by the poster as a study, that there are people here who step up. I'm thinking specifically of GotGarlic and pictonguy. Thank you. BTW, gotta love when a chef (pictonguy) understands science and can explain stuff well.
principles, not personalities.

Back
Top Bottom