Dehydrating pears

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dragnlaw

Site Team
Staff member
Bought some dehydrated pear slices at the Farmers Market. They are really good. Still pliable and very thin. They didn't have any of the dehydrated pear variety fresh, all out.
The fresh ones, a different variety with a name I didn't recognize and can't find on the internet. Think he called them "sugar", which they certainly are! Small, mostly green, round bottoms and firm like bosc.

So will be getting out the mandolin, lemon water and a bit of ginger.

Not sure how long I should soak them for?
1724605899661.png
1724605954343.png

1724606034103.png

and now that I'm thinking about it, do I use real ginger or powdered?
Powdered won't dissolve in the water, but doesn't mean it won't flavour it.
Any advice on which to use?

Fresh ginger has a bit more sweetness compared to the dry, so I'd use fresh. You can even add a little sugar or honey to the lemon/ginger.
I don't know how long you need to soak. With pears or apples it's mostly just dipping them in lemon to slow the browning. They are going to brown or tan a little anyways. They'll still be good.

OK, I'll go with the fresh ginger. But no sugar necessary. The dried ones I got were amazingly sweet and there was no sugar added. Taste testing these pears I doubt very much you'd want to add sugar. These also were surprisingly sweet. as said, I was very surprised.

Thanks bliss, appreciated!

dehydrating concentrates the sugar. I can see why you wouldn't add sugar-but I never know with different people, different taste buds.
When we make the concentrated pear sauce, it is very sweet, no sugar added, EVEN when the pears aren't soft and ripe. It's amazing.

What will you do with the dehydrated pears? Will you just snack on them? Or, will you make something with them?

Back
Top Bottom