Cutting recipe amounts for cooked buttercream centers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beryl94903

Assistant Cook
Can I cut my recipe for cooked buttercream centers for chocolates in straight proportion or will it change the outcome? (e.g. 3 cups of sugar become 1/2 c; a tsp of cream of tartar becomes 1/2 tsp, etc.).
OR Can I make the "dough," then divide it and add different flavor to each at a later time?

Background: For my chocolate centers I use a wonderful buttercream recipe which creates an unparalleled result. It involves making a syrup to precise temperature and, ultimately, aerating it (lift and stretch and separate with paddles or spatulas) on a marble slab to a kneadable, light colored, sticky, holds its shape thing. An hour later that stuff is buttercream that sends confectioner's sugar into paroxysms of shame. A good example of a recipe is below, though I haven't used that particular one.
HERE'S my question--it is directed to cooks who have experience with this particular cooked buttercream:
How can I safely change the amount. I get more buttercream than I can use in the flavor I want--like enough for dozens and dozens of chocolates. I want to prepare the syrup and knead it then divide it and add a different flavor to each. But the temperature will have changed so it would be best, I imagine, to make less to begin with. Can I safely halve the proportions and get the same result? How about 1/4? If I make the whole amount up to the point of adding flavor, can I form into smaller quantities, add a different flavor to each and somehow restore the temperature later to with kneading without messing up the texture when it is done?
I've seen a few posts where people asked how to get that buttercream center quality like you would find in Sees. Here is the link to a standard recipe. Buttercream Centers | Old Farmer's Almanac

Back
Top Bottom