Crispy skin chicken thighs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

medtran49

Master Chef
With all the talk about chicken skin lately, I thought about this recipe. Can't believe we hadn't posted this before.

2021-04-26 19.38.41.jpg

Warning, this makes a mess with grease spatter. I have never tried to use a spatter screen as I wasn't sure if it would affect the crispness.

I'll be honest, I take the skin off and save it for last.

Also, due to differences in pans, stovetops, and ovens, you may have to play with the temperatures and times. The below is what works for me.

Ingredients

6 skin-on, bone-in chicken thighs (about 2 1/4 pounds)
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
1 tablespoon vegetable oil

Directions

Preheat oven to 475 F.

Season chicken with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a 12" heavy nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Nestle chicken in skillet, skin side down, and cook 2 minutes. Reduce heat to medium; continue cooking skin side down, occasionally rearranging chicken thighs and rotating pan to evenly distribute heat, until fat renders and skin is golden brown, about 10 minutes.
Transfer skillet to oven and cook 10 more minutes. Turn chicken over and continue cooking until skin crisps and meat is cooked through, about 5 minutes longer. Transfer to a plate and let rest 5 minutes before serving.

Last edited:
The Spatterscreen is the most ingenious thing ever invented (maybe)!

It won’t affect crispness but will keep you and your kitchen cleaner. I use it for bacon and everything I fry. Everything crisps up nicely.
That's good to know. I have wondered about the crispness being affected, like medtran. I do use one some of the time, when I'm not worried about the crispness.

I only think of using one when I see all the fat already spattered. :rolleyes:

Question:
Why don't splatter screens come in different sizes?
I dislike when, therefore don't use, the edges can hang over a smaller pan by sometimes up to 2". I'd happily buy, and use, 3 different sizes!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom