Campbells Soup Company changing name...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I’ll always be a Campbell’s kid but prepared soups in general are becoming a bit too spendy to be a good value for me.

I’m not sure if it’s just me and a part of getting old or a real shift in pricing.

I’ll always be a Campbell’s kid but prepared soups in general are becoming a bit too spendy to be a good value for me.

I’m not sure if it’s just me and a part of getting old or a real shift in pricing.

I think it is just not as popular as it once was. I rarely buy prepared soups anymore. I do make soups from scratch a few times each winter.

CD

As a kid growing up, I never had canned soup. Mom's frugal and a great cook, dad was a chef and we didn't have a lot of money. As a result, soup was made in our kitchen from chicken bones and veggies.

I can remember having lunch at my best friend's house and his mom served me Campbells soup. It tasted awful to my limited palate.

Campbell's chicken noodle soup, chicken and rice, and tomato soups were regular lunches when I was growing up. I don't remember the last time I ate any of them.

OI get the impression that this is the reason Campbell's is shifting its focus, and changing its name. A lot of people are just not eating their soups anymore.

CD

I ate very little canned soup while growing up, but I do remember that "Vegetable Beef" soup (maybe in school?), and I would pick all that barley out of it and eat it - that's where I learned to like barley!

I never really cared for Tomato Soup although we had it often. Too acidic for me, used to do a number on my tongue. But I loved Beef Barley and Chicken Noodle. Then for a while I used Creams of.. either chicken or mushroom. I'm back to using a couple of the Creams for various recipes but not necessarily Campbell's, whatever is on sale. I make my own Beef Barley - soooo yummy. Chicken noodle is now either ramen or won tons. With half the Vegetable bin thrown in for good luck.

Now reading that was a total waste of my time. Why did CNN consider it newsworthy? What difference does it make? I like Campbell's pork & beans, they have a unique flavor that no other bean brands can duplicate. I braise pork chops in them to prevent them from drying out. In Sicilian it's called Pork Chop with Fagioli All'Ucceletto. But I have never referred to them as Campbell's Soup pork & beans. I had the same reaction when the local newspaper in Niagara Falls had a two page layout because Chic-fil-A was opening a restuarant in town. Who gives a flying fig? Every fast food place and every chicken place has chicken sandwiches! Some even have waffle fries.

Now reading that was a total waste of my time. Why did CNN consider it newsworthy? What difference does it make? I like Campbell's pork & beans, they have a unique flavor that no other bean brands can duplicate. I braise pork chops in them to prevent them from drying out. In Sicilian it's called Pork Chop with Fagioli All'Ucceletto. But I have never referred to them as Campbell's Soup pork & beans. I had the same reaction when the local newspaper in Niagara Falls had a two page layout because Chic-fil-A was opening a restuarant in town. Who gives a flying fig? Every fast food place and every chicken place has chicken sandwiches! Some even have waffle fries.

I know how you feel. I just read something that was a total waste of my time. :rolleyes:

CD

The company I worked for was in packaging (cans), so the research and testing part of the company tested quality and the cans. They gave away cases of campbell's soup. I had 3 boys, teens, so we ate what we had. The chicken noodle was just too salty and we gave that away to others.

Campbell's chicken noodle soup, chicken and rice, and tomato soups were regular lunches when I was growing up. I don't remember the last time I ate any of them.

OI get the impression that this is the reason Campbell's is shifting its focus, and changing its name. A lot of people are just not eating their soups anymore.

CD
I think the Chunky soups are pretty decent. But when it comes to the Campbell's condensed soups, I really only buy the cream soups to keep around for cooking. I always have cream of chicken and cream of mushroom on hand.

There is one Campbell's condensed soup that's my absolute favorite to eat as a soup and that's the bean with bacon. I used to also regularly buy the green pea soup and the split pea with bacon, but I can't find them anymore. Besides, when it comes to split pea soup, I usually make my own. I keep around dried split peas, dried lentils, that sort of thing. Love homemade split pea or lentil soup. I also love making pots of homemade veggie soup.

I like the easy frozen Campbell’s cream of shrimp soup casserole from the 70s.

These days I use a can of Campbell’s cream of shrimp soup with good results.

There are several variations but this is how I do it on cold snowy winter night.

White fish filets topped with cream of shrimp soup, breadcrumbs, crushed potato chips or French fried onion rings baked in a hot oven until brown and bubbly.

Most recipes use rice or suggest serving with rice but I prefer baked potatoes as long as the oven is on for the casserole.

I like the easy frozen Campbell’s cream of shrimp soup casserole from the 70s.

These days I use a can of Campbell’s cream of shrimp soup with good results.

There are several variations but this is how I do it on cold snowy winter night.

White fish filets topped with cream of shrimp soup, breadcrumbs, crushed potato chips or French fried onion rings baked in a hot oven until brown and bubbly.

Most recipes use rice or suggest serving with rice but I prefer baked potatoes as long as the oven is on for the casserole.
That's another one I can't find anymore. I haven't seen the cream of shrimp soup for years. I could probably find it online somewhere, but no doubt it'll be crazy expensive. That and I didn't really use it that much, but your casserole sure sounds good.

Back
Top Bottom