Butcher Paper Conundrum: Meat Sticking Issues during Smoking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JustinJames

Assistant Cook
Hi... Everyone!
While smoking meats on butcher paper, I've encountered a problem with the meat sticking.

Looking for insights and tips from the BBQ enthusiasts on how to prevent this issue and ensure a smooth smoking process.

I don't use butchers paper but...
Just thinking
Don't you generally smoke meat on the grid and wrap in butcher paper just before or during the stall?
Otherwise, if you want to use it earlier (but why?), maybe grease it.

When cooking on high heat, sticking is prevented by the grid being hot. At low heat, this will not be the case, so maybe you just need to accept it?

Hopefully the more knowledgable butcher paper smokers will chime in to enlighten us ;)

Do you mean after pulling and wrapping, then sticking after you put the meat back on? If so, maybe give the grate a quick scrape and clean before putting the meat back on, maybe even give the grates a quick oil with an oil moistened paper towels and tongs.

If you are talking about the meat itself sticking to the paper, just take a paper towel moistened with oil and rub the paper before wrapping.

We've never had either problem, but that's how I would go about solving.

Last edited:
I know battling sticky butcher paper can be the pits, so I wanted to share some tricks I've picked up to keep your meat gliding.

First things first, drying is key. Give that meat a good pat-down with paper towels before wrapping it up. We're aiming for "just right," not Sahara desert dry. Next, paper matters. Grab unbleached butcher paper – the good stuff. Cheap paper might tear and stick easier. Think of it as a sturdy hug for your juicy goodness.

Speaking of hugs, wrap meat in butcer paper like a cozy sweater. No air pockets allowed! This helps heat and smoke distribute evenly and keeps things from sticking. And, fat is your fault riend. Place the meat with the fatty side facing up. As it cooks, the fat melts and bastes the meat, adding another layer of anti-stick goodness.

Keeping things steady is vital, temperature that is. Consistent smoker heat is your bestie. Avoid those wild swings that can wreak havoc on your paper-meat partnership. Use a meat thermometer – your trusted ally in the fight against sticking.

Finally, give the meat some downtime. Let it rest wrapped for a bit after smoking. This helps juices redistribute and prevents that sticky shock when you unwrap it.

Bonus tip: be a rub alchemist! Experiment with different rubs and seasonings. Some might be naturally less prone to sticking than others. And lastly, don't forget the moisture magic. A spritz or mop with a yummy liquid during smoking adds flavor and creates a barrier against the enemy.

With these tricks in your arsenal, you'll conquer the butcher paper beast and emerge victorious with succulent, beautifully smoked meat. Happy smoking!

Last edited by a moderator:
Bonus tip: be a rub alchemist! Experiment with different rubs and seasonings. Some might be naturally less prone to sticking than others. And lastly, don't forget the moisture magic. A spritz or mop with a yummy liquid during smoking adds flavor and creates a barrier against the enemy.
Are you suggesting to baste or spritz the paper? Or are you supposed to unwrap; spritz or baste; and then wrap the meat up again?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom