Bunny Chow (No Bunnies were harmed during the cooking of this recipe)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Snip 13

Master Chef
Another South African Traditional recipe from Durban :)
Here's a short story of how "Bunny Chow" was created.
During the Great Depression in 1933 the Whites and Chinese suffered hunger like everyone else. Their children used to buy the cheapest curry available known in Durban slang as "Bania" (or vegetable curry made from beans) and Chinese food was called "Chow". Somehow the two came together and was known as Bania Chow and as time went by it simply became known as "Bunny Chow"
The children bought these curries from street vendors and since they didn't always have plates they came up with the idea of hollowing out there bread and getting the vendors to dish the curry into the hollow center. They used the soft center to scoop out the curry and broke off pieces of bread as they ate from the "bread bowl" This was also a popular way of eating curry by the field workers for their lunch. Since then people have started eating a variety of curry this way and today the most popular types are Lamb, Chicken or Bean and Lentil Curry.
I'm giving you a recipe for the Lamb Curry but Chicken or Beans can be used if preferred.

2 and a 1/4 pounds of lamb cubed
1 large onion finely sliced
1 x 14oz can of chopped tomatoes
4 medium potatoes cubed
1/2 tsp of ground cinnamon
1 tsp of ground turmeric
2 tsps Garam masala
2 tsps curry powder
1 tsp crushed ginger
1 tsp crushed garlic
salt and pepper to taste
Oil for frying
Chopped fresh coriander leaves for garnish
1 cup of heavy cream (optional)
1 Standard loaf of unsliced bread cut in half or 4 quarters.

In a little oil fry the onions till lightly browned. Add all the spices along with ginger and garlic and gently fry to cook out the rawness. Add meat cubes and lightly brown. Add the tin of tomato and the potato cubes. Add just enough water to barely cover the mixture and bake slowly in a 325 F oven till meat and potatoes are tender. Gently stir in the cream if using and garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
Using a sharp knife hollow out the bread not removing any crust. Scoop curry into hollows and serve straight away. The soft bread that was removed should be used to mop up the curry sauce and scoop out the curry. Tare pieces of the bread as you eat to scoop out the rest or use a spoon if needed.

Recipe will make 4 regular servings or 2 if very hungry!

P.S Use cubed chicken or a mix of cooked beans if preferred, just reduce the cooking time.

Just as an after thought. I use bone in leg or shoulder meat for this recipe but boneless could be used as well. When using a tougher cut such as these cook the curry for 2 hours.
If a leaner cut is preferred use cubed tenderloin and cook for 30 mins or until potatoes are tender. There is no right or wrong cut for this preparation so just go with what you know.

This sound right up my alley. I'd love to try this recipe. But alas, my DW doesn't like curry, and doesn't like lamb.:( I love both. What's a poor GW to do?:ohmy:

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

This sound right up my alley. I'd love to try this recipe. But alas, my DW doesn't like curry, and doesn't like lamb.:( I love both. What's a poor GW to do?:ohmy:

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Make it and invite his daughter over for dinner. Mom can eat something else. I'll make her some dirty sock soup or something. :smartass: I've still never had lamb. Really need to get around to trying it.

The bunnies of the world thank you! I've eaten so many of them that they will like the idea of me eating something without them included!

It sounds absolutely delicious! Masala is also one of my favorites! I think I could live on curries. Spicy foods are my favorites. I must have at least 20 types of hot sauces.

Thanks for another fine recipe!:chef:

Make it and invite his daughter over for dinner. Mom can eat something else. I'll make her some dirty sock soup or something. :smartass: I've still never had lamb. Really need to get around to trying it.

Make her a peanut butter sandwich with the leftover bread :LOL: or put some kind of curry and lamb free take out in hers :p

My father spent 6 years of his childhood in SA and this was one of the first recipes he ever taught me. I'm glad to see it here, it always makes me smile. And it's tasty too - I use loads of different curries (not just the traditional veg curry) depending on the people I'm catering for.

Thanks Snip! Lovely to see this old favourite!!

My father spent 6 years of his childhood in SA and this was one of the first recipes he ever taught me. I'm glad to see it here, it always makes me smile. And it's tasty too - I use loads of different curries (not just the traditional veg curry) depending on the people I'm catering for.

Thanks Snip! Lovely to see this old favourite!!

My Pleasure :)
Where in SA did your Dad live? We use different curries for Bunny Chow here too, the lamb has become more popular than the veggie filling. I prefer the lamb and if I'm planning on eating half a loaf of white bread I might as well have the yummy fatty lamb to go with it :LOL:

Okay, this one is definitely for me! But I think I will try chicken first. It isn't that I don't like lamb, I do. But for some reason lamb curry is not my favourite. But chicken is!!!!

oh man, lamb and curry in a bread bowl?

i've done turkey chili and beef stew in bread bowls, but curried lamb sounds great.

right after heading to ottawa, i'm on my way to botswana.

i'll bring the guinness.

oh man, lamb and curry in a bread bowl?

i've done turkey chili and beef stew in bread bowls, but curried lamb sounds great.

right after heading to ottawa, i'm on my way to botswana.

i'll bring the guinness.
:ROFLMAO:
If you bring me decent Guinness I'll make you any dish you want! Love love love guinness! With a good head of foam on top "lick lips"
Liquid heaven :)

Thought I should resurrect this thread since I'm no longer a newbie lol! This is a oldie but a great family dinner. I just noticed that the longer I was on DC, the more replies I got to my threads. Guess we need to earn our stripes round here ;)

For Studentcook. This curry recipe is perfect for squash. You can use pumkin, squash, yams or sweet potatoes instead of lamb or a bit of both. The heavy cream can also be subbed for your whipping cream. :)

I don't know how I missed this recipe when you posted it Snip, so I'm glad to see it for the first time. My very favorite post is a recipe with a great story, and I think a post like this is what makes Discuss Cooking unique and special. I personally have little experience with both eating or cooking curries but I have half of an uncooked boneless leg of lamb in the freezer that is destined for your recipe, if you think it would work well.

Last edited:
Just as an after thought. I use bone in leg or shoulder meat for this recipe but boneless could be used as well. When using a tougher cut such as these cook the curry for 2 hours.
If a leaner cut is preferred use cubed tenderloin and cook for 30 mins or until potatoes are tender. There is no right or wrong cut for this preparation so just go with what you know.

Snip, I am making this TODAY :)
Using bone-in leg. (just less than 3 Lbs.) cooking for 2 - 3 hours, I'll check it out half-way through the cooking time.
Also.... using the cream! Oh yea. I got my garam masala recipe online.
Thanks for this recipe :yum:

Last edited:
I don't know how I missed this recipe when you posted it Snip, so I'm glad to see it for the first time.
Same here! Thanks for the recipe. I'll have to give it a try.

I love Bunny Chow, but the ones I've had before have been very spicy. I don't mind heat myself, but my family is somewhat wimpy. Your version looks tame enough that I could probably make it for them and not have to listen to any complaints about how hot it is.

I don't know how I missed this recipe when you posted it Snip, so I'm glad to see it for the first time. My very favorite post is a recipe with a great story, and I think a post like this is what makes Discuss Cooking unique and special. I personally have little experience with both eating or cooking curries but I have half of an uncooked boneless leg of lamb in the freezer that is destined for your recipe, if you think it would work well.

Thanks Kayelle :)
You can use a leg of lamb but then I suggest you only add your veggies once the meat starts getting tender and remove meat from the bone.
A leg would take about 4 hours so add veggies after 2 hours.
Hope you enjoy it!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom