Beef roast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rumeye

Assistant Cook
I have got a couple of recipes for sirloin tip roast.It does not say to cover the roast or not?

Normally you roast uncovered, well I always do. Others may be able to help you further. :)

Dunno...depends where you are trying to take it...

In my opinion, I'd throw some fluids in (onion soup mix and water, stock, consomme?) and cover it for half the cooking time, as the Sirloin tip we get here is pretty sparse on fats and juices...more one I'd do as a "good" potroast...

That's "slow cooking"...this can be done to "fantastic" on a BBQ at 285 degrees, a pan of water, some wood chips, etc, and a whole pile of patience!)

If you "seared it" and or blasted it with, say, 450 degree starting heat, and a good, salty dry rub to start off, "open roasting" would probably work quite well!

Sirloin tip is a great roast, but one where I figure you need to go "all one way" or "all the other"...I'd love to hear where I'm wrong in this, as it could save me a bunch of mony...the meat is excellent!

Lifter

Talk about stealing one's thunder! Lifter, you hit it right on the head. Sirloin Tip isn't the most tender cut of meat, but is tasty. I requires slow and moist cooking methods, just as you said. I can't say any more than Lifter already did.

By the way Lifter, when did you say you were coming to the Sault? I need to make plans. I know a couple of good places in Sault Ontario.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

yep, i agree with lifter. unless you have experience making roast beef or have a proper bbq, i would go with a good pot roast.
i make a plate of some spices; mostly black pepper and sea salt, dried oregano, basil, thyme, garlic powder, and paprika. wash the roast, shake off excess water, roll in spices, and rub them well into the meat. in heavy bottom stock pot or dutch oven, heavily sear the roast on all sides in light olive oil or canola oil. turn the heat to low, and add water (or beef broth, beer, wine, whatever you prefer) until 1/3rd to 1/2 of the roast is submerged. simmer on low for about 2 hours, then add 5 or 6 halved stalks of celery, 3 large quartered onions, and a few halved carrots. simmer for at least another half hour or so, until the veggies are tender.
remove the roast and veggies, and reduce the remaining liquid, adding a flour slurry to thicken it into a gravy. (you could make a roux to add to it if you don't like raw flour slurries). serve with mashed potatoes.

Just thought of this. You can roast this cut of meat to an internal temp of 140, remove it from the oven and let cool a bit, then slice very thin, across the meat grain, and use for sandwiches, or serve with spuds and gravy. But the slices must be deli-thin for this to work. Thing Phillies with Au Jus.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

You want to do this on the BBQ, with the water pan, wood chips and real low heat for a long time....thin sliced....the way beef is supposed to taste....

What do you all buy when you want to make plain old roast beef like my mom used to make? You know, med. rare in the middle well done on the ends.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom