Are broth cubes as good as store-bought liquid broth?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LOL, msmofet, as much as I wanted to toss them - their expense saved them. Gave them to my DIL.
I like a cube of chicken flavour in with my rice cooker. (yes, I dissolve it first) If I've forgotten one I use the Knorr concentrate (liquid bottle). Either chicken, beef or even the vegetable one - depends on what the main meal is going to be.
taxy, the tiny square of paper used to wrap the cubes, when collecting them all to compare to the glass/metal jars, plastic bottles, plasticized cartons, I think comes out more of a winner just for sheer quantities. IMHO (but not falling down that rabbit hole researching it).

Bouillon cubes usually have a lot of salt, artificial additives, and preservatives, while liquid broth contains more nutrients like vitamins and minerals from the ingredients.

Bouillon cubes usually have a lot of salt, artificial additives, and preservatives, while liquid broth contains more nutrients like vitamins and minerals from the ingredients.

BTB ingredients for the chicken.

ROASTED CHICKEN, SALT, SUGAR, CORN SYRUP SOLIDS, HYDROLYZED SOY PROTEIN, DRIED WHEY (MILK), FLAVORING, FOOD STARCH, DISODIUM INOSINATE AND DISODIUM GUANYLATE, TURMERIC. ALLERGENS: MILK, SOYBEANS.

BTB ingredients for the chicken.

ROASTED CHICKEN, SALT, SUGAR, CORN SYRUP SOLIDS, HYDROLYZED SOY PROTEIN, DRIED WHEY (MILK), FLAVORING, FOOD STARCH, DISODIUM INOSINATE AND DISODIUM GUANYLATE, TURMERIC. ALLERGENS: MILK, SOYBEANS.
What would be typical of the flavoring source?

I've always found that rather ambiguous for ingredient listings. Everything else could be looked up but that.

So, with all my squinting to read a pale blue print, I gather that in this particular case BTB for chicken, "flavoring" means chicken flavour derived from the chicken.

and ummm, thanks pictonguy... I think. :chicken: :mrgreen:

Also the
So, with all my squinting to read a pale blue print, I gather that in this particular case BTB for chicken, "flavoring" means chicken flavour derived from the chicken.
No not just from chicken but from any source that is considered a flavor enhancer.

Also and as an example the Disodium Inosinate and Disodium Guanylate that show up in BTB as ingredients are actually flavor enhancers as well.

The Disodium Inosinate for example is derived from inosinic acid which is a nucleotide which is a muscle tissue formed in the process of making purine in organisms.

Disodium Guanylate is derived from guanosine monophosphate which can be obtained from yeast, mushrooms, or seaweed.

When these 2 ingredients are used together they create a synergistic effect that enhances the umami even more so when they're used individually and you might see them as I+G on other labels.

This is food science and when it comes to food products the intention is to make them more palatable and therefore more desirable, it's basically the 101 in selling food products. I personally don't have a problem with these 2 ingredients but UPF (Ultra Processed Foods) are based on the same food science that has led most western cultures down a path of unwell like we've never seen before.

BTB could be considered an UPF by definition but personally I don't see a problem with it as far as health is concerned, culinarily though, I would never use it. Let me clarify I would never use BTB in a restaurant but at home I might in a pinch, so far I use home made stocks using whole foods, herbs and spices to enhance them.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom