A big-ole butt for Labor Day 2024

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

caseydog

Master Chef
I got a good deal on a Manager's Special bone-in pork butt at Kroger. It is on the smoker right now. This photo was taken at 164F internal temperature. It is about to hit the stall. I am a bit ahead of schedule, and I'd like a darker bark, so I'm not going to wrap it now. If the stall lasts too long, I'll go ahead and use the "Texas crutch."

1725303744036.jpeg

1725304012620.jpeg

CD

Texas crutch?????

Yes, that is what BBQ people call wrapping your meat at around 160F to help it finish cooking to to its target temperature, which is often over 200F.

CD

I got a bark that looks dark enough for now, so I wrapped in foil. I'll leave it like that for no more than an hour. Then I'll take it back out of the foil to crisp the bark back up.

CD

It got up to 205F, and the thermometer probe went through the meat "like butter." Then the built-in doneness test, the blade bone sliced out with almost no effort, and come out clean.

Now, it just needs to rest, and then I can shred it for pulled pork.

CD

So out of a 6.5 lb butt - how many servings fo pulled pork should you get? And do you freeze portions for later?

So out of a 6.5 lb butt - how many servings fo pulled pork should you get? And do you freeze portions for later?

I'd guess about 12-15 sandwiches. I gave a good size container to my next door neighbors. That takes care of four portions.

For myself, I mixed some up with a Carolina style vinegar sauce. It is thin and watery, so it soaks into the meat. I had one sandwich already, and may have another later.

I also held back most of it for tacos, and other dishes. I can always mix up more with sauce for sandwiches.

I will probably give some more away. If I put any in the freezer, I'll be throwing it out in six months when I clean out the freezer.

I ate my first sandwich standing in the kitchen, and did NOT take time for a photo. OMG, it was so good. 9 hours of slow smoking. I'll try and get a shot of the next one.

It is a bigger butt than I would normally buy, but for ten bucks, I couldn't resist.

CD

Last edited:
I measure four ounce servings into ziplock bags for freezing. Each makes a hearty sandwich on a bun.

I don't know why, but when I freeze my cooking for later eating, I forget about it. It sits in the freezer forever, until I eventually throw it away to make room for fresh meats to cook. I can't give a rational reason for this. It just happens.

Once I cook something, I need to eat it, even if I eat it five days in a row. That, or like this pork butt, give some away.

Pulled pork has a lot of uses, so this won't go to waste. Sandwiches, tacos, mixed with black beans, made into a quick chili... I can use it a lot of ways.

CD

It is a versatile supply of delicious meat. I recently braised part of a butt and ended up using it for Cuban sandwiches, empanadas and tacos.

I did a pulled pork once, never before, never since. Not that it isn't delicious, it was but I just don't make tacos, empanadas nor Cuban sandwiches. Guess it's a regional thing.
That being said, Saturday, at the Farmer's Market, there is an actual Food Truck doing Puerto Rican Jerky 'somethings'. I've been seeing that truck there for some time now so I finally had one. Very tasty.

casey- I have the same problem, I believe there is a name for that phenonium. It's called "out of sight - out of mind".

It is a versatile supply of delicious meat. I recently braised part of a butt and ended up using it for Cuban sandwiches, empanadas and tacos.

Thanks for the reminder. I need to pick up some ham and cheese at the deli. I haven't had a Cuban sandwich in a long time. I'll have to find my panini press. It's been that long.

CD

I got a good deal on a Manager's Special bone-in pork butt at Kroger. It is on the smoker right now. This photo was taken at 164F internal temperature. It is about to hit the stall. I am a bit ahead of schedule, and I'd like a darker bark, so I'm not going to wrap it now. If the stall lasts too long, I'll go ahead and use the "Texas crutch."

View attachment 70547

View attachment 70550

CD
Nice!

I don't know why, but when I freeze my cooking for later eating, I forget about it. It sits in the freezer forever, until I eventually throw it away to make room for fresh meats to cook. I can't give a rational reason for this. It just happens.

Once I cook something, I need to eat it, even if I eat it five days in a row. That, or like this pork butt, give some away.

Pulled pork has a lot of uses, so this won't go to waste. Sandwiches, tacos, mixed with black beans, made into a quick chili... I can use it a lot of ways.

CD
Good on you for being realistic. There isn't much point in keeping on doing the same think and getting the same undesired outcome.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom