2023 November 24, What is or was your supper?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

taxlady

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
I tried a new to me recipe. It's from a video by J. Kenji López-Alt. It turned out delicious and it was quick and easy. It's Pasta with broccoli and Italian sausage. I have never seen whole wheat orecchiette, so I don't buy orecchiette. I used whole wheat macaroni. I used broccoli, because that's what I had, rather than rapini or broccolini. I made the bulk Italian sausage using Chef John's recipe.

Wholewheat pasta with broccoli and homemade Italian sausage.jpg

Last edited:
I had some of the potatoes from last night and then pulled out a chicken breast from the fridge I cooked a day or so ago. I ate that with some 1000 Island dressing over it and then just had popcorn for dessert. I was going to have some more strawberries, but it's a little late for that and the last thing I need is my acid reflux kicking in again tonight.

Nothing from the garden in those sweets I took for Thanksgiving, but in the day after, in the soup I made with some of the broth I made with the turkey carcass, I used some onion, garlic, and a couple of small sprigs of rosemary and sage, and some parsley, and some bok choy. The bok choy I chopped up the greens from, and added that early, and the cut up stalks towards the end. The soup started with that broth, and some purple barley, along with some green chickpeas, which I cooked a couple of hours in the Instant Pot, on slowcooker regular mode. Then I soaked, and cleaned up, and chopped 3/4 oz boletus mushrooms, saving the rinsing water, and adding it to the soup (this made it even darker), and some chana dal, and some whole mung beans, along with the greens, and slowcooked another 2 hours. Meanwhile, I cleaned up, quartered (or less, with those large ones) and cooked 1½ lbs of creminis, adding a chopped up onion, and some garlic minced with a small amount of rosemary, towards the end of cooking. When the dal and mung beans were almost done, I added the mushroom/onion mix, 1/2 c black quinoa, and about 1/3 c masoor dal, to cook about another hour, and thicken it some, adding the cut up bok choy stems, and about 1 c cut up turkey, for cooking just the last 10 minutes. I served this with some reggiano grated on the top.
Finished mushroom barley soup, made with leftover turkey from Thanksgiving. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Finished mushroom barley soup, before topping with some reggiano cheese. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

I took about 1½ qts of this over to my friends, who had me over for TG, and I had had more of it for Saturday dinner, and there's at least 3 bowls still left.

I worked Thursday overnight, so I got home around 8:00 am. Then we had to go to a funeral; my wife's brother passed earlier in the week. That was at 11:00 am. Then the whole crowd goes to lunch somewhere nearby the cemetery; turns out this was a restaurant at a golf club and it was horrible. We got home around 2:00 pm and I had perhaps an hour's sleep in the previous 39 hours. I was far too tired to cook; I crashed.

I don't recall what my wife and daughter did. I think canned soup was involved. Around 9:30 pm I made some scrambled eggs with a few pieces of leftover bacon and a small amount of leftover ham steak, and some shredded sharp cheddar cheese and two slices toasted Beefsteak rye bread. It was quite good.

And shortly after that I went back to sleep!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom