What's for dinner Thursday, April 18, 2024?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

medtran49

Master Chef
Scallop potato and pork chop casserole, with green beans, tomatoes, onions and garlic.
20240418_180616.jpg

I needed to make something for mr bliss to carry at work tomorrow at the bee place that didn't need to be heated. I made a yeast dough from red lentils and ww flour. A filling of onions, spinach, mushrooms, garlic, and soy sauce. Stuffed each bun with the filling, rise and bake. They turned out good. He's going to bring a spoon and some salsa, for eating the stuffed buns. We had that for dinner too. (we used to make them in the steamer instead of baking but I wasn't in the mood to drag out the steamer today.)

I made an Italian type dish tonight, because I trimmed a bunch more basil from those plants in the hydroponics, to trigger some new growth, to take cuttings from those. I first took some dried eggplant and dried green beans, equivalent to 1 and ½ lb of each, and set it to soak in hot water. Then set some dried tomatoes to soak in hot water. Then I rinsed a cup of spelt, and put it to cook in the Instant Pot, in 2 c water, and a little salt, for 25 minutes. I then thawed 1½ lbs of venison Italian sweet sausage in the MW, and washed a lb of white mushrooms, quartering them, and cooking in a wok, while cooking the meat on the 12" sauté pan. The spelt was drained, while those were cooking, saving the water (used all but about half a cup of it). I blended the soaked tomatoes in the Vitamix, until paste-like, and set it aside. I chopped up an onion, and minced 8 smaller cloves of garlic, and about 1/4 c marjoram, with a tb of basil (much more at the end).

In the rinsed out IP, I heated about 3 tb EVOO on Sauté mode, then cooked the onion until golden, then added a generous tb of white miso (out of tomato paste, so I used this for the umami), followed by the garlic and herbs. Cooked a minute, then added the 28 oz can of diced tomatoes, the blended tomatoes, and rinsed the VM out with the rest of the tomato water, and a cup of the spelt water. Then I added all the cooked spelt, 2/3 c each of chana dal and red lentils, and all the soaked eggplant and beans. Mixed it up well, then pressure cooked it for 14 minutes, and let it release naturally. After this, I added the meat and mushrooms, and about 1/2 c more of that spelt water, then simmered it about 5 minutes. Then I added the parsley and basil, simmered another 3 minutes, and that was it!
Absolutely delicious, and I have about 3 qts leftover.
The start of the Italian type dish I made tonight, with a can of, plus some dried tomatoes, soaked and blended. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Dried eggplant and green beans, soaked and drained, plus all that trimmed basil. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

The cooked spelt and some liquid, soaked veggies, chana dal, and red lentils, to pressure cook 14 minutes with the tomatoes. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Dish, after pressure cooking 14 minutes. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Cooked sausage and mushrooms, to add to cooked dish, to cook another 5 minutes. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

A large bunch of chopped parsley and basil, to be stirred in, and cooked about 3 more minutes. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Finished dish, after cooking the last herbs briefly. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

A friend came over, when I was resting the IP, from that second cooking, so it was almost done, and I was cleaning most of it up, and he was bringing some friends of his over, that are visiting (I think from Ohio). He told me a couple of days ago that he "might stop by" to introduce us, and I told him, jokingly, that I'm not really cooking much lately, because I'm out in the garden so much! He said I don't have to feed them, because they go out to eat all the time, in their travels, which they did earlier today. And when he came inside he yelled out "I thought you weren't cooking! You did this to tease me, because you know I ate out!" That smell wasn't even from the finished dish yet, and got even better. They all tried about a half a bowl of it, and she fell in love with it, and wanted to know what was in it. He immediately said something like "you really don't want to know!" I told her about some of the ingredients that she probably won't have, and she got a sort of disappointed look on her face. I offered some to them to take home to his place, but they declined - she said she would want even more of it, but knowing she wouldn't be able to make it, but I told her it could be done with other things, but the basic flavors in the tomatoes. That fresh basil was what made me make this - I had to come up with something to use it in!

Last edited:
Today was a weird day. I started eating at 10am and I don't think I've quit eating all day. If I had to pin down supper, I'd say it was the frozen strawberries between the ham salad and the eggrolls. But it could also have been the English muffins I ate about 7.
I have had days like that.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom