What green vegetable lasts longest in the frig

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
none really - all need to be eaten fairly quickly -
but you could start with broccoli, green beans, properly wrapped lettuce, green peppers, jalapeno's, properly wrapped zucchini, last is spinach but again, properly stored could possibly last 5 or 6 days.
Hey - even carrots need to be stored properly.

I've had kohlrabi and cabbage from my garden last for months in my fridge. And I still have some garlic scapes, from early June, though that's a once a year harvest. And I'm surprised at how long leafy greens keep in the fridge in a Ziploc - I often harvest them just because I have to, not because I'm planning to make something, and put them in the fridge, and they keep for a couple of weeks, or at least until I use them.

My scapes did last a few months, My arugula also lasted a few weeks kept in an open ziplock. I only stored it cause I picked more than I needed. kinda like parsley, its tolerates the cooler/ cold weather pretty good ( along with kale).

I have good results with 3packs of Romaine lettuce.

It’s nice in salads and also added to soups, stir fries, etc…

It does take a little care in checking the dates and looking at the condition of the package but a carefully chosen package can last a couple of weeks.

It may not make sense to buy and hold fresh vegetables. Consider frozen broccoli, spinach, kale, etc…

Most of the time I get my spinach in a rigid clear pack. Snaps open and shut. Once opened I put a paper towel inside the pack, the towel retains moisture for crispness without letting it go soggy. When it gets down to the point where the ratio of package to contents is taking up too much space, I transfer to a zip bag. Along with the paper towel of course.
Lettuce, same as the spinach.

Green peppers (and coloured ones as well) should be in zip bags or at least tightly wrapped in plastic.

Zucchini, tightly wrap in plastic. In the fridge or not. But once cut/started, use up asap.

In the fridge, for fresh vegetables, I don't keep that much in the fridge. Carrots aren't green but they keep weeks. Lettuce only stays a week or so once washed dried with a dry paper towel in a bag. Right now I have cauliflower but it won't last too long before it gets dark on the outside edges. Cucumbers can last a week but they dry out.
I leave my tomatoes and peppers on the counter. The peppers change to red/yellow/orange, if they begin to dry out, I chop them and freeze them. We try to go through all our produce in the week, then shop the next monday or tuesday.

I absolute HATE clingfilm. I try to get some off the roll, and within seconds, I have this unusable wad of plastic stuck to itself.
I wrap our salads in a saran wrap, mr bliss hates it, he can't make it work for him. I hold down the first edge on the counter, flat, then pull the wrap over the bowl, let go of the first edge, hold the wrap right near the tearing edge and tear it.

What green vegetable lasts longest in the frig? That depends. Which one do you hate the most?​

True so true.
For us, if we don't eat the whole quart of apple sauce within a week or so, it tends to grow a new vegetation on top, some kind of mold, yeast, or fungus.

I buy wrap in containers that have those sliding cutter edge on them. Works a treat and I make sure the cut part stays thru the slot on the box so that it's easy to grab for the next time.

Celery can last quite a while. Cabbage lasts, especially in a plastic bag. Lettuce can last a while in a plastic bag that is partially open so it can breath and doesn't accumulate too much moisture. A dry paper towel or J-Cloth (Like a Handi Wipe, but British and Canadian) inside the bag to absorb some moisture that condenses in the bag. I use a clothes pin to hold the bag together at the top and leave gaps at the corner for air circulation. That method works for all sorts of greens. It really helps prolong the fridge life of leafy greens, if they are dry when put in the fridge.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom