Uses for oats that aren't granola/granola bars?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It’s the perfect time of year for bakechef’s Peter Pumpkin Bars! 🎃🎃🎃

Low Carb/Low Fat Meat Loaf
Ingredients:
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 1 bell pepper, diced
  • 2 celery stalks, chopped
  • 2 Tbs light olive oil
  • 1½ cups tomato sauce
  • 1 egg
  • ¼ cup egg substitute
  • 1 pound 90% lean ground beef
  • 1 pound ground turkey breast
  • 1 cup old fashioned oats
  • 1 Tbs Garlic, chopped
  • 1 Tbs Oregano
Instructions:

Sauté the onion, bell pepper, and celery in 2 Tbs of olive oil until the onions are translucent. Add the tomato sauce, garlic and oregano, simmer on low heat for 30 minutes, and allow to cool.

Preheat the oven to 375F.

Whisk the egg and egg substitute in a large bowl. Add the ground beef, ground turkey breast, and oats to the egg and mix thoroughly. Add ½ cup of the sauce and combine the sauce with the meat mixture. Pat the mixture into a loaf pan, invert the loaf pan onto a broiler pan and remove the loaf pan. Bake the meat loaf in a 375F oven for 1 hour. Allow to rest for 30 minutes. Slice meatloaf into 8 servings and top each serving with 2 Tbs tomato sauce.

Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies

Ingredients:
  • 1 ½ cups old fashioned oats​
  • ½ tsp baking soda​
  • ½ cup all-purpose flour​
  • ¼ tsp salt​
  • ½ tsp ground cinnamon​
  • ½ cup unsalted butter at room temperature​
  • ½ cup creamy peanut butter​
  • ½ cup granulated sugar​
  • ½ cup light brown sugar​
  • 1 large egg​
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract​
Instructions:

Preheat the oven to 350F. Line two large baking sheet with Silpat baking mats or parchment paper. Set aside.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the oats, flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Set aside.

Using a mixer, beat the butter, peanut butter, and sugars together until creamy, this will take about 2 minutes on medium speed. Beat in the egg and vanilla extract until well combined.

Fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until just combined.

Scoop the cookies into round balls and place on the prepared baking sheets,leaving 2 inches in between cookies. Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until the cookies are lightly browned around the edges, but still soft inthe middle.

Remove cookies from oven and let cool on the baking sheet for about 5 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and cool completely.

Last edited:
Smoothies: Add oats to your smoothies to make them more filling. It's a great way to boost the fiber content in your drink.

@Kaneohegirlinaz Thank you. There's over 500 recipes that come up with a search of 'cookies'. At least 10 maybe 20 with oatmeal. Awesome list. Mr Bliss and I looked at a bunch of them. He said, 'what are you looking at OMG'. lol
@blissful I can't remember how I found "CopyMeThat" but I love it!
It's a useful tool to keep recipes all together that you like and/or want to to try.
I also "write down" my own recipes so that I remember them.

I used to use oats in my meatloaf. It works well, but now I prefer to use Weetabix. I like what it adds to the flavour of the meatloaf.

Folks have covered a bunch of great ideas so I can only offer some tidbits. Using oats in any ground meat mixture whether patty or loaf. For Turkey Burgers or loaf consider adding Oats and Applesauce. Using small amounts in anything to aid thickening of "stew like" products such as a pot of Chili, lentil or pea soups, Beef stew, "Hot dish"/ One pan/Crock pot meals, etc. more as a hidden use than major component.

My fave would be replacing the raisins in Oatmeal Raisin Cookies with dried Apricots. You get to use an extra 1/3 C of oatmeal when you toss a replacement volume of Apricots for Raisins with the oats in a food processor, to prevent the Apricots from turning into a ball of sticky Apricots. I like the sweet and tart with Apricots vs the sweet and sweet of raisins.

Hey Taxlady, FWIW, consider what pretzels would do for a meatloafs flavor. An accidental discovery that became my fave... I bet Grape Nuts would be tasty also! Obviously, I like Malt... LOL

Hey Taxlady, FWIW, consider what pretzels would do for a meatloafs flavor. An accidental discovery that became my fave... I bet Grape Nuts would be tasty also! Obviously, I like Malt... LOL
Ah, but is there such a thing as wholewheat pretzels that one can buy?

Hi taxlady,

I'm not sure about Whole Wheat Pretzel availability. Weetabix sounds like a good option to me except unavailable here.

Again, FWIW, I actually use Snyder's or Utz's Dark or extra dark pretzels primarily for that depth of flavor provided, sort of like adding a brown roux taste inside the meatloaf. If less fiber is the real issue vs white flour in the pretzels, oatmeal could help but this is really just about the flavor. This is one of those sacrifices I make for flavor vs healthiest option available.

Again, FWIW, I always use brown roux for my Poutine gravy! I am just one of those chefs that loves that darker, richer, flavor foundation that is different from those that make blond roux and add Maggi/Kitchen Bouquet to make a brown gravy without that darker flavor, which seems more common, even for brown gravy here in the states.

I don't have an excuse for why I never tried to toast oats to a dark color for usage, but if I was still working I would give that a try!

Back
Top Bottom