Tuesday, July 30, 2024 - What's for dinner?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kathleen

Cupcake
We had okra, tomatoes, and cucumbers from our garden along with salmon cakes and potato salad! What did you have today?

20240730_182254 (1).jpg

I had been craving a BLT, but the only bread I had was Wasa Rye Crispbread, rugbrød, and my wholemeal and sunflower seed bread. None are quite right for a BLT. The Wasa is like a giant cracker. The other two are dense and chewy. Today, i got a produce basket and a loaf of softer whole wheat bread, which is much better for a BLT. So, I toasted my bread, took out some lettuce, and sliced a tomato. Then, when the bread popped up and I took it out of the toaster, it occurred to me that I hadn't cooked the bacon. D'oh! :doh:. So, I nuked the bacon. I usually prefer it fried, but nuking it was so much quicker than frying it would have been. It was still a darned good sandwich. I had the last bit of broccoli salad and some radishes with that.

2024-07-30 Bacon, lettuce, and tomato on whole grain toast accompanied by leftover broccoli sa...jpg

Jade, I have to google about 90% of your meals. LOL
Looks and sounds, very yummy!

Edit: forgot my own supper..
Boiled potatoes, baby carrots, creamed spinach.
Granddaughter brought me a potato she found on the top of the growing bag. The skin was so thin I just scrapped rubbed it off. Cut up another (store) russet, when peeled, so funny to see such a difference in their colours. Russet was white/white against the yellow Yukon Gold.
Threw in some baby carrots. Wilted a small pan of spinach, topped with cream, dash of nutmeg, salt.
Supper was ready and very tasty.

Last edited:
@dragnlaw 🤣 haha! I always try to use the correct names for my dishes because they are saved in my files that way.
My profound interest in international cuisine has led me to respect the distinction between dishes.
A lot of this started years ago when worked with a chef in an international business style 5 star. His buffet included dishes like “Indian Butter Chicken” (which is not an Indian dish) and Asian Stir Fried Rice (because, you know, they are all the same).
This used to drive me up the wall, especially since we had a Kerali chef working in the banquet kitchen downstairs who would make the most delicious, traditional Indian food.
My chef was always keeping costs down by imagining up “curries” and “stir fries” and “stews” which were just whatever scraps he had around just thrown into a stockpot with some onions and spices. I urged him to do better by making honest food using the ingredients that were traditionally used for the multitude of variations of a cuisine.
But no, there would be Indian Beef Curry, noodle dishes using dried spaghetti and asparagus, Kangaroo Paella 🤦‍♂️
This horror show led me to become fascinated by the traditional cuisine of regions around the world and seek out authentic ingredients, techniques and texts.
That’s why I always try to use the correct terminology for my dishes, so that a little research (ie: Google) will be able to explain the difference between say, a Tom Yum and a Pho 🫠

Jade,
Well said, well done. I applaud you!

I love looking things up (don't remember them for too long). Often at the same time I "fall down a rabbit hole" and may not resurface for an hour - or even more!

Back
Top Bottom