Tues, Aug. 6th, '24 Dinner bell!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blissful

Master Chef
It was our first really cool day, it's so nice, such a relief. So I made an eggplant lasagna with greens (on my half), noodles, eggplant, tomato sauce, onions, tofu, basil/garlic, marinated olive. It was delicious.

August 19th is National Potato Day, so get your grocery list and get your creamy, fluffy, white, orange potatoes, whatever kind you like. We'll be celebrating potatoes that day. :)

I made a Danish dish that I have only made once before. It's chicken leg roasted on top of a bunch of potato slices. The chicken is seasoned with garlic, salt, and pepper. The potatoes are seasoned with salt and chopped rosemary. Those potatoes are really good. I just have to figure out how to keep them from baking onto the roasting pan. I think a smaller roasting pan might work better, so the potato slices aren't so spread out. I had that with leafy salad. I may have been a bit overly enthusiastic with the chopped parsley. :rolleyes: :ROFLMAO:

Kylling på kartoffelbund og salat.jpg

I made a Danish dish that I have only made once before. It's chicken leg roasted on top of a bunch of potato slices. The chicken is seasoned with garlic, salt, and pepper. The potatoes are seasoned with salt and chopped rosemary. Those potatoes are really good. I just have to figure out how to keep them from baking onto the roasting pan. I think a smaller roasting pan might work better, so the potato slices aren't so spread out. I had that with leafy salad. I may have been a bit overly enthusiastic with the chopped parsley. :rolleyes: :ROFLMAO:

View attachment 70241
Parchment paper is your friend!

View attachment 70241

When I make a rotisserie chicken, I put some quartered red potatoes in the drip pan below the bird. The chicken bastes the potatoes as they roast. Chicken fat and potatoes are great together.

CD

Never understood the appeal of Sloppy Joe's. To me it was just a meat spaghetti sauce on a hamburger bun. I mean, if you're going to make a spaghetti meat sauce at least serve it on pasta not bread! LOL!

Never understood the appeal of Sloppy Joe's. To me it was just a meat spaghetti sauce on a hamburger bun. I mean, if you're going to make a spaghetti meat sauce at least serve it on pasta not bread! LOL!

Sloppy Joe's are not the same as a meat sauce for pasta. A lot more meat, and less sauce. It is not gourmet food by any means. It is cheap food for families with kids, and I loved it as a kid. I'd love to eat one now, just for the memories, but I'm not going to make a batch of it for one sandwich.

CD

LOL... casey, cheap food for families with kids does not mean more meat, less sauce. The complete opposite. Plus pasta was/is cheaper in quantity than bread.

Sloppy Joe's are not the same as a meat sauce for pasta. A lot more meat, and less sauce. It is not gourmet food by any means. It is cheap food for families with kids, and I loved it as a kid. I'd love to eat one now, just for the memories, but I'm not going to make a batch of it for one sandwich.

CD
White Castle had sloppy Joe sliders for a limited time.

When I make a rotisserie chicken, I put some quartered red potatoes in the drip pan below the bird. The chicken bastes the potatoes as they roast. Chicken fat and potatoes are great together.

CD
Oh my, you reminded me of some of the best rotisserie chicken I ever had. When I lived in town, there was rotisserie chicken place about a 10 minute walk from my flat. It was run by a Spanish speaking woman from somewhere in Latin America. She had a couple of those glass rotisseries cabinets that do a whole bunch of chickens at once. There are skewers with maybe four or five chickens each and there are maybe eight of those, one above the other. She always had a bunch of boiled potatoes on the bottom of the cabinet, getting dripped on by all of those chickens. The chicken was good. The sauce and the potatoes were spectacularly good.

When I moved to the suburbs and it took me an hour and a half to two hours to get into town, I would pick up chicken, sauce, and potatoes and schlep it home on the bus and Métro (Montreal's subway system). (Holy run-on sentence Batman!)

LOL... casey, cheap food for families with kids does not mean more meat, less sauce. The complete opposite. Plus pasta was/is cheaper in quantity than bread.

Sloppy Joes don't taste anything like spaghetti and meat sauce. The mix of meat/sauce is much sweeter. The sauce is a lot more like BBQ sauce than pasta sauce.

I'm curious, what do you have against Sloppy Joes? Were they not ever a thing in Canada? It really was a cheap way to feed a family when I was a kid. Not the opposite of spaghetti and meat sauce at all IMO.

CD

They were/are as popular here as they are there I guess. Just one of those things that when I looked at recipes and/or pictures it just didn't make sense to gum up a hamburger bun. Do you eat them with a fork and knife? Or pick iup the bun like a hamburger! LOL
I'm the only one that feels that way. My family and friends have no problem with them.

They were/are as popular here as they are there I guess. Just one of those things that when I looked at recipes and/or pictures it just didn't make sense to gum up a hamburger bun. Do you eat them with a fork and knife? Or pick iup the bun like a hamburger! LOL
I'm the only one that feels that way. My family and friends have no problem with them.

As a kid, I didn't care how messy they were. I ate them like a burger, and didn't care how much of a mess I made. As an adult, I know I would find them annoying to eat, and probably wouldn't like them nearly as much as I did as a kid.

But, I'd gladly eat one today if you put one in front of me, just for the memories.

CD

As a kid, I didn't care how messy they were. I ate them like a burger, and didn't care how much of a mess I made. As an adult, I know I would find them annoying to eat, and probably wouldn't like them nearly as much as I did as a kid.

But, I'd gladly eat one today if you put one in front of me, just for the memories.

CD
LOL - well, breaking news! I think that's why they were called 'SLOPPY Joes'.

Back
Top Bottom