Tips, hints and tricks to share with our members

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
NO, no, no .... it was just a mistake! A glitch in the emails! A simple human error that I wasn't invited to the last one! Stop looking at me that way and nodding your head... like as in ... uh huh, yup, sure dragn, just a little mistake...

If you have a cut of meat that is going to take a long, slow cook, once you have cut it as necessary, sprinkle some bicarbonate of soda on it and mix through.
It will tenderise the meat so it comes out beautifully and soft.

If onions make your eyes water, peel them, cut them in half and leave them in the freezer for around 5 minutes. Watery eyes no more!

That's how my gal pal does it and swears by it.
I don't usually have time to do that, nor think to do it, I keep a damp cloth and wipe my blade and the board often. Works a charm for me!

There is a lot of advice out there about how to stop yourself crying when chopping onions (goggles anyone?)
The freezer tip works, for sure.
But in my opinion, the best way to prevent crying is to use the freshest onions you possibly can, and always sharpen your knife before going for it. Really does work well. Onions that are even a few weeks old will release more lachrymator compounds which is the enzyme that causes crying. A well sharpened knife will cause cleaner cuts and inhibit the release.
Putting onions in the freezer for a relatively short time (so they aren’t frozen solid) will also give the lachrymator less ability to release into the surrounding air when you cut. 🫠

I agree Jade, a sharp knife is important, for the simple fact of those cleaner cuts. Fresh onions on the other hand, would only be available when you have a garden and/or know the market vendor who sells them.
Wipe your knife often with a damp cloth (or even damp kitchen paper) if you are doing your cutting next to the sink, just reach over and run it under the tap.

Cut onions give off fumes that irritate. You can either reduce the fumes or keep them from your eyes. The remedies I hear most often are: swim goggles or a fan blowing across the cutting board to redirect the fumes. A sharp knife helps (fewer damaged cells releasing fumes). I just try to keep the cutting time to a minimum.

Lately, I have found shallots more of an issue than onions.

Onions rarely effect people in a professional kitchen. Can't remember the last time that happened maybe once in the last year and not sure why, rarely at home as well.

It's true pictonguy, it doesn't bother me half as much as it used to.
Maybe if I'm doing 3 or 4 onions - and yellow being the strongest - it might a bit.

Onions don't seem to bother me at all. I have long suspected that eyes just get used to it. I'll have to say that a sharper knife causes less problem. I only know that because DH notices that, when I am cutting onions. Since they don't bother me, I am the designated onion cutter in this house. I don't mind at all. Because I do all the onion cutting here, I am also the one who does it more efficiently and faster.

Toast!

I haven’t tried this but I think it’s a genius idea for those times when you need to feed a crowd or attend a screening of The Rocky Horror Picture Show. 🤭

1695841562948.jpeg

Place oven racks close together and slide baking sheet onto lower rack, place slices of bread between rods on upper rack and toast/ bake at 350f-425f for 10-15 minutes depending on your personal taste.

Last edited:
After working at a theater and having to clean the Theater after a showing of The Rocky Horror Picture Show I cringe when I hear that name. The people watching the movie were disgusting animals.

But the toast idea is genius!!

Back
Top Bottom