Salt spoon, as a measurement, help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mcduff1979

Assistant Cook
hi there,

I dug out an old family recipe the other day and it asked for 1 saltspoon, does anyone know the conversion to a more modern utensil?

regards

tom

Hm. What are you making? Unless it's a baked good, precision probably isn't too important with salt. Less is probably better than more, you can always add more salt. The antique salt cellars I've seen had a tiny spoon, I'd say 1/4 tsp or so.

the recipe is for a family piccalilli style recipe, uses a salt spoon for a measurement.

piccalilli is always done in preserving jars, the recipe is from around 1940 so not too sure and its a mix it up bung in a jar and forget recipe. its not as sharp as normal piccalilli.

our family always called it digestive pickle

Hoo boy. I think I would still look at the Ball recipes. Lots of canning and preserving methods have changed since the 1940's.

I'm just afraid your pickles may become more than "digestive".

Last edited:
I went en messured my salt spoon from 1901, yeah it is little less then 1/4 tablespoon, just a tiny bit.

Hoo boy. I think I would still look at the Ball recipes. Lots of canning and preserving methods have changed since the 1940's.

I'm just afraid your pickles may become more than "digestive".

Yes, the OP should probably read up on modern techniques so that no one gets sick ... Preserving is a strict science.

preserving cant be that much of a science as wartimes we did ok...

and this recipe has been used since then and no illnesses, just great tasting pickle

All righty then. A lot of us here are canners. We have extension agencies, which you don't have in the UK, but they have websites. I like Iowa State and Georgia. They offer good advice about canning.

Let us know how your piccallili turns out! My mom was Canadian, and loved it too.

I meant no offence, just not had problems with it in past. I'm looking forward to making a new batch.

Sent from my E6553 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

Oh heck. We don't get offended easily here! We just don't want you getting sick.

Touch wood not sick and looking forward to new batch

Sent from my E6553 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom