Random Cooking Idea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You can, with the Corningware Visions cookware set

0dad8b79e0f34dcd97a27c9747d75c1d.jpg
Yeah that's the set I used to have, until I shattered one by not being careful with the heat. I always had a bit of a problem with stuck on food with those anyway. I still like glass casserole dishes for the oven, though.

Has nobody noticed? You cannot see the bottom of your pork chop while it is frying without lifting it up.

Edit:
oops, sorry Jusa, didn't see your posts. Exactly - how is that camera going to lift the pan to look under a glass pan.

Haha, I was just poking fun at the generation where media devices generally never leaves their side or hand.
:D
Hey, I am 61 years old and media devices are nearly always by my side or at hand. Now that I have a water resistant phone, even at the beach.

well, since AI is going to solve all the other problems of the world . . .

using the burner setting, the pan type, the object in the pan, starting temp of the item, amount of oil, the pan temp, the recovery rate of the burner and pan . .
should be a simple thing to create a VR image of what the bottom looks like at any given time.

no?

well, since AI is going to solve all the other problems of the world . . .

using the burner setting, the pan type, the object in the pan, starting temp of the item, amount of oil, the pan temp, the recovery rate of the burner and pan . .
should be a simple thing to create a VR image of what the bottom looks like at any given time.

no?
Yeah but then going off of all the other comments I wonder if this idea is even going to be helpful to people when it comes to things like multitasking etc.

bliumuncher - do you cook? (not being facetious, as it would help to understand). What kind of pots are in your kitchen?

I think you've gathered from the posts - watching the bottom of a pot is impossible unless it is glass. And I doubt even people with glass pots pick them up to look under at the bottom.

But trying to help with gadgets for the kitchen is wonderful - I'm all for it. That being said - just not one where I have to depend on my phone. 🍭

Isn't this concept the entire point of Tovala? Perhaps make a gadget where one does not need to purchase proprietary "meal kits."

When I cook, I want to be actively involved. I enjoy the processes involved in making a meal. If I want to do other things, then the slow cooker or something baked, or what-have-you, is made. Cooking is my language of love. I love to cook for those I care about....distant monitoring isn't part of that.

To be fair, when I was working, I definitely needed ideas to save time. I resorted to a lot of one pot dishes or sheet-pan meals. Live-saving. I would have gotten something like the Tovala if it had not had proprietary kits back then.

bliumuncher - do you cook? (not being facetious, as it would help to understand). What kind of pots are in your kitchen?

I think you've gathered from the posts - watching the bottom of a pot is impossible unless it is glass. And I doubt even people with glass pots pick them up to look under at the bottom.

But trying to help with gadgets for the kitchen is wonderful - I'm all for it. That being said - just not one where I have to depend on my phone. 🍭
I usually use stainless steel pans because they tend to give nice sears. It's usually a combination of pots (I think the ones I use are classified as saucepans?) and stainless steel pans because there's so much I can do with these two: pasta, fried rice (though I'll use a rice cooker instead of a pot), stir fried noodles, risotto etc. I hardly use my oven but I want to try to make my own pizza at some point.

Isn't this concept the entire point of Tovala? Perhaps make a gadget where one does not need to purchase proprietary "meal kits."

When I cook, I want to be actively involved. I enjoy the processes involved in making a meal. If I want to do other things, then the slow cooker or something baked, or what-have-you, is made. Cooking is my language of love. I love to cook for those I care about....distant monitoring isn't part of that.

To be fair, when I was working, I definitely needed ideas to save time. I resorted to a lot of one pot dishes or sheet-pan meals. Live-saving. I would have gotten something like the Tovala if it had not had proprietary kits back then.
Yeah I agree with your sentiment. I'd devote my full attention to what I'm making if I want other people to enjoy it, or if I'm cooking with friends.

I've never seen the Tovala before, and it looks pretty cool. However, it looks like you have to buy certain meals to cook. I think that's what you pointed out as well right?

I usually use stainless steel pans because they tend to give nice sears. It's usually a combination of pots (I think the ones I use are classified as saucepans?) and stainless steel pans because there's so much I can do with these two: pasta, fried rice (though I'll use a rice cooker instead of a pot), stir fried noodles, risotto etc. I hardly use my oven but I want to try to make my own pizza at some point.
Get yourself a wok. I love making fried rice! I like to make it a bit "more" than what you would get with Chinese takeout--I like to use pork tenderloin chunks, diced assorted veggies (carrots, onion, sugar snap peas, red cabbage, asparagus) and roasted garlic--lots of garlic! I usually finish with a mix of black and white sesame seeds and a drizzle of toasted sesame oil in addition to the soy sauce.

The rice cooker is great for making the plain white rice and then just let it sit in the frige for a day or two since the rice tends to turn to mush if you use freshly cooked (as I am sure you already know). But the wok is the way to go!

Yeah I agree with your sentiment. I'd devote my full attention to what I'm making if I want other people to enjoy it, or if I'm cooking with friends.

I've never seen the Tovala before, and it looks pretty cool. However, it looks like you have to buy certain meals to cook. I think that's what you pointed out as well right?
It is. That's my issue with it. I think it would be cool to have something like that so that someone can make their own meals.

How cool would it be if you can see the underside of your food cooking on the pan on your phone or something so that if you have to be away to do something you can still see the progress of what you're cooking?
Or even just see it standing over the stove in person like you could in the old burgundy CorningWare, which I still have a lot of, but I have actually never cooked on the casserole pieces over a burner and use it mostly in the oven, although my first Dutch oven was one of those as well as a big saucepan, and I did use that on the stove but it's long gone. I think I decided it was kind of heavy. I really need to consider using a couple of those small casserole dishes to heat things up in on the stove.

Hey, I am 61 years old and media devices are nearly always by my side or at hand. Now that I have a water resistant phone, even at the beach.
Yeah me too.

My point about AI not being able to detect the nuance of a busy 4 way intersection was about the infinite possibilities where humans interact mostly with their eye and head movement to one another that may actually disrupt the natural flow of a 4 way stop. For example, when a speeding child on a bicycle is 15 feet away from screaming through the intersection when one driver gives the other driver the heads up and neither move until after that incident might not end very well if a camera in the grill of a car was going to determine the fate of that child.

As far as seeing the underside of food while it's cooking is really a moot point considering if it needs to be flipped immediately and your in the back yard having a beer, your skewered. If I was actually at the stove where I belong when food is being sauteed I can tell by the smell and by the sound the food is making what is going on for the most part and it's a training tool where you gather information that makes you a better cook going fwd. As far as a tool to indicate a food is done because of color then that's more of a timing thing, mostly seen in baking and those are time honored and well accounted for for the most part. The juxtaposition of those 2 drivers and the relevance of smell and sound is what makes a meaningful difference or at least that's how I see it. Human interaction will never go out of fashion. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom