Pickling Peppers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When I look at the recipes in the ncfhp and university extensions I don't see recipes for qts of canned pickled peppers telling the amount of time to water bath them. The 'safe' recipes are for pints and half pints. Sorry. You can look around and see if you can find anything but I didn't find any for quarts.
If you plan to just refrigerate them and use them, then go ahead and use quarts.

When I look at the recipes in the ncfhp and university extensions I don't see recipes for qts of canned pickled peppers telling the amount of time to water bath them. The 'safe' recipes are for pints and half pints. Sorry. You can look around and see if you can find anything but I didn't find any for quarts.
If you plan to just refrigerate them and use them, then go ahead and use quarts.
What blissful said.

Is there a reason you cant water bath them? Is that an actual thing? Some recipes you can only do pints and not quarts?

Jar Size​

It is also common for processors to sell their products in different jar sizes. For example, if a canning recipe has processing times for ¼ pints and ½ pints and not quarts, it would not be safe to apply the same processing time of the ¼ pint and ½ pint to the quart. Additionally, it would not be safe to add a few more minutes to processing the quarts. The recipes that have been tested have been tested to not only measure pH, but also heat penetration and heat distribution. Therefore, only the listed jar sizes in the recipe should be followed.

Thank you for your replies. I did go th liter route but I refrigerated them instead (going to make a pickled pepper relish recipe I came up with a few years ago). If I pickle the rest for storage, ill do pint sized jars :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom