Canning Quince Jam

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JustBex

Assistant Cook
I recently received a very large quantity of quince and made some jam. The only recipes I could find were for canning the jam in half pint jars, which is fine for gifts and sharing with friends. I'd love to can the jam in larger jars, like pints or even quarts. Can anyone help me with a processing time for water bath canning?

For now, if you follow a UW-Extension recipe, simply extend the processing time by 5
minutes when processing jams and jellies in pint jars.

For jams and jellies, this extensions service says to process it 5 minutes longer for the pints than the 1/2 pints.
For anything processed less than 10 minutes, make sure to pre sterilize your jars. This step is not necessary for processing 10 minutes or more, just use very clean freshly washed jars.

Processing time for 1/2 pints in water bath boiling, 5 minutes, for pints, 10 minutes.
Quinces are acceptable fruit for jelly or jam. https://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_07/jellied_product_ingredients.html

Quarts are not mentioned in any jam or jelly recipes nor a processing time, hence it is not tested and not recommended. The closest I would venture into quarts is to make a puree like an apple sauce, but in your case, a quince sauce. https://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_02/fruit_puree.html

edited to add: Welcome to Discuss Cooking.
Let us know how it all turns out. Good Luck

Last edited:
Thanks Blissful! I did pre sterilize my jars, I didn't know it wasn't necessary if I processed longer. I processed the first round of jars for just 5 minutes and then left the next two batches in for 10 because I was still finding jars that didn't seal. I'll check to see if that's already been addressed in other threads.

I may have to hold off on processing quarts for now. Fortunately I still have plenty of half pints and pint jars that I can fill. I thought about treating it like applesauce too, that made good sense to me.

I really appreciate your help!

Attachments

• day one jam yeild.jpg
    day one jam yeild.jpg
    206.6 KB · Views: 6
I'm so glad it worked out for you. Your jam looks great and it's so nice to have it on the shelf too.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom