One More from the Tool Box

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

obillo

Senior Cook
I have seen people do some really risky things when faced with cutting truly stubborn vegetables--butternut squash, for horrible example. I have seen a man what his way halfway through the neck of a butternut and then slam down on the spine of the knife with his open palm. It hurts, and beyond that there's risk of a severe cut if the the hand slides down the spine to the point, Laying a wadded dish cloth over the knife to protect the hand is even riskier. You can't really see well and the cloth introduces even more slipperiness. Wen I saw a guy reach for a carpenter's hammer I turned chicken and simply fled the room.

Yes, blunt-force trauma is required but the solution is a 1-lb rubber tire mallet from the auto-supply store.

Butternut squash are one of the hardest squashes to peel and cube. I will do it but I don't like it. :ROFLMAO:
I prefer to wash them and bake them, deseed them, and scrape out the flesh to use. It works for pies or a layer in a thanksgiving casserole. It doesn't work for cubes in soup or stew.
We are growing 5 types (or more) of squash this year. I'm trying to look at it was an adventure.

Butternut squash are one of the hardest squashes to peel and cube. I will do it but I don't like it. :ROFLMAO:
I prefer to wash them and bake them, deseed them, and scrape out the flesh to use. It works for pies or a layer in a thanksgiving casserole. It doesn't work for cubes in soup or stew.
We are growing 5 types (or more) of squash this year. I'm trying to look at it was an adventure.
I do this too. Roast them whole, open, scoop and season.

More recently I've discovered that scooping the seeds out with a spoon is the worst way to do it. I now use an ice-cream scoop.

I ran across this information on the canning group. To peel a difficult squash/pumpkin, cut it in half, microwave it flat side down for 2-3 minutes. Check the skin with a skewer to see if it is softer, if not, microwave it a little longer, check again. Then peel it and it will come off much easier.
In canning squash, only chunks are allowed, not mashed which is too dense for canning.
I haven't tried it yet but I will try it.

Ixnay on squash, so my only challenge is chopping carrots and that's no big deal unless I am at one of those resort condos with kitchens that usually have awfully dull knives. I have learned to bring my own.

@Jusa I take my own knives when we travel, too. A couple Christmases ago our daughter got me a knife roll. If you don't have one, I recommend that it goes on your "gift wish list".

Mine is similar to this one:

When we had a timeshare in Aruba, I'd pack a chef's knife, a paring knife and a steel. The knives the timeshare provided were a joke. The cookware too but that's another story.

Andy, when we cooked at a camp a few years ago I took all my knives with me and would keep them in my room when we weren't on duty. The staff were brutal on knives!

Years ago, my assistants. knew I was into cooking, so as a. gift they got me a set of knifes. They weren't what I'd normally use in the kitchen, but we would rent a house in Maine each summer, so they became our ' Maine Knives" and always made the trip up with us.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom