Okay to blend salsa

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rockergirl

Cook
Hi! I made a green tomatillo salsa for pressure canning. It was an approved recipe. I wanted it a little less chunky and used my hand immersion blender to blend it up some to make it smoother. Was that okay, is it still safe to eat?

Thank you.

If I use an immersion blender to remove the big chunks in a safe salsa recipe, is it still safe for canning. Not reducing it to sauce, just making it less chunky. Measuring all ingredients per the recipe before doing this.

Lane County Oregon

Expert Response​

As long as you are using a research-based salsa recipe from a reliable source tested for canning you should be ok to blend a little, but don't thicken it. That would change the density of the product and the processing time might not be correct.

You might like to use the recipe for Tomato-tomato paste salsa in the PNW 395 Canning Salsa publication. It is a very saucy but tasty salsa and not very chunky. More like a picante sauce.
https://extension.oregonstate.edu/catalog/pub/pnw395-s
Good luck and thanks for using Ask Extension.

Thank you! I looked all over for this and also messaged one of the extensions but never got a response (I'm sure they are very very busy!) I did not over blend, just blended up lightly.

It's your ingredients that make it safe once processed. Not how you mix it together.

Absolutely. As a Texan, I know salsas, and you can make them virtually dozens of ways, to suit your tastes. As for canning and food safety, I'm not in any way an expert. I make refrigerator pickles and salsas. But what dragnlaw said sounds right to me.

CD

@Rockergirl great. As long as the density of the liquid doesn't become too thick, then heat transfer isn't as efficient and the tested recipe timing won't be enough. Heat transfers easiest through water/vinegar/light sauce, and not as well through a thick sauce.
There are some recipes that add tomato paste to the liquid, to make the liquid slightly thicker.
I usually use Annie's Salsa Recipe and it has paste added to the vinegar/liquid.

@Rockergirl great. As long as the density of the liquid doesn't become too thick, then heat transfer isn't as efficient and the tested recipe timing won't be enough. Heat transfers easiest through water/vinegar/light sauce, and not as well through a thick sauce.
There are some recipes that add tomato paste to the liquid, to make the liquid slightly thicker.
I usually use Annie's Salsa Recipe and it has paste added to the vinegar/liquid.
Is it safe to assume if you ate one can out of the batch and didn't get sick that all the cans in that same batch are in the clear? As long as liquid didn't siphon out more than half way (which none siphoned)

Is it safe to assume if you ate one can out of the batch and didn't get sick that all the cans in that same batch are in the clear? As long as liquid didn't siphon out more than half way (which none siphoned)
Good Question, but no it's not safe to assume they are safe. The batch may develop the bacteria or ferment or become unsealed at any point. The bacteria may not have a smell or a taste and the onset of stomach upset can be right away or 3 days later depending on what kind of bacteria it is.
(also your gut microbiome might be super healthy and you don't get sick but old aunt matilda or wee little baby john might get sick)
I'd really rather say, oh go ahead, assume away....but in truth that wouldn't be a good idea.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom