Monday supper on 2024 October 7

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

taxlady

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
I am exhausted. I got to bed far too late, so I made a simple supper. I roasted a chicken leg and a merguez sausage and some sticks of celery. I topped it all with some of my batch vinaigrette before it all went in the toaster oven. I made a quick salad of green crisp lettuce, red onion, and radishes (Is that really all that was in it?) which I dressed with some of the batch vinaigrette. That was tasty and not much work.

2024-10-07 Roast chicken thigh, merguez sausage, celery, and a salad1.jpg

I saw a video online that cooked a spaghetti squash ( along with a meat sauce ) in a slow cooker. I was intrigued by the idea of cooking the spaghetti squash in the slow cooker, so I figured I'd experiment. Unfortunately , the squash was over cooked, and also released quite a bit of liquid into the sauce. Serves me right for not using my cooking common sense. Seemed to good to be true.

Yeah, its was a one pot dish. The spaghetti squash cooks on top off the sauce, then after its all done, you scoop out the squash and mix it all together . But way too much liquid ( from the squash) and the squash was so over cooked, it literally disappeared in the sauce. I had to add some tomato paste ( and I through in some pepper paste too) to thicken the sauce back up. Didnt taste bad, but not ideal way to cook a spaghetti squash , which I knew, but I figured maybe they knew something I didnt. Wont try it again,

Yeah, its was a one pot dish. The spaghetti squash cooks on top off the sauce, then after its all done, you scoop out the squash and mix it all together . But way too much liquid ( from the squash) and the squash was so over cooked, it literally disappeared in the sauce. I had to add some tomato paste ( and I through in some pepper paste too) to thicken the sauce back up. Didnt taste bad, but not ideal way to cook a spaghetti squash , which I knew, but I figured maybe they knew something I didnt. Wont try it again,
They cook well in the microwave.

We went out to dinner for a mystery shop job I picked up. Didn't have to take pics so didn't. I had country fried steak with white gravy, baked sweet potato and buttery corn. Craig had a bowl of Texas red chile, but it had  beans in it (whoeved named it Texas Red should be shot!), a burger with way too much stuff on it, and fries. Food was decent overall though and meal will cost less than $10, most of which was tip, once I am reimbursed.

I had beef with gravy over rice.

100_0098.JPG

It was good, but sort of bland and I put salt, thyme, smoked paprika, garlic, basil, and dill into it. I have another bowl and I think when I eat that, I'll add some Wooster sauce to it. Or soy sauce.

I used the beef broth from the crock pot to make the gravy by adding corn starch, but maybe the broth was too hot. The corn starch wouldn't dissolve and I had to chase it around and around the pot and mush it against the sides while I stirred. I've never had that problem using corn starch before.

This picture was coming out red too, so I finally forced the flash to go off and that seemed to cure it.

Back
Top Bottom