How many have their knives professionally sharpened?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I sharpened all the knives in my wife's kitchen with a steel. I guess I made them too sharp and she cut herself. Now I'm not allowed to touch her knives anymore. I didn't know there was such a thing as a knife too sharp.

I don't think there is too sharp, when it comes to knives as tools. But, if one was expecting a dull knife, a suddenly sharp knife could be a problem.

I was a professional butcher for many years 25+, and learning how to sharpen a knife by hand is a difficult skill to master. The trick is the angle between the stone and knife has to be the same on every stroke, that angle should be between 18-23 degrees. But the tricky part is if you start at 22 degrees the next stroke should be 22 degrees and the next and the next. Even just a few degrees difference between strokes against the stone will bring disappointment. But even after mastering that skill we used to get our knives professionally sharpened every other week or so.

The kits others mentions are probably your best bet I've never used them but any tool which will help you get the same angle every time is the key. Also, buy a butcher's steel they won't sharpen a knife but they help sharp knives to hold an edge longer.

I prefer to sharpen my own. As I was taught, "A dull knife is a dangerous knife".
But with that said I also believe the sharpness of the knives should be contingent on the knife skills of the user using them.

My own knives are basic German stuff. Black plastic handles with 3 silver rivets.
They are adequate for my needs. My sharpener has ceramic coarse & fine stones. I can hold up & cut a piece of typing paper with them just as if I were using a razor blade. As I use them they dull and I resharpen them as needed.

Last edited:
I prefer to sharpen my own. As I was taught, "A dull knife is a dangerous knife".

But with that said I also believe the sharpness of the knives should be contingent on the knife skills of the user using them...

Not sure what you're saying. If someone has beginner knife skills, they should have less sharp knives???

To me it's a contrast of very sharp knives in the hands of the less experienced cooks (a potential danger) and knives sharp enough for those with lesser skill levels to use safely. (a wider margin of safety) There needs to be a balance between the two notions as I see it. Those who have developed their skills and self confidence may be better able to use the very sharp knives more safely.

Farmer Jon points out in his post how his wife cut herself on a knife he sharpened and now he isn't allowed to sharpen the knives. He didn't elaborate on how exactly she cut herself though. Whether it was mishandling them, when washing them, or when cutting food.

I have rudimentary knife skills, but my knives are sharp. If I'm going to cut myself I want a nice clean cut that can be easily stitched.

To me it's a contrast of very sharp knives in the hands of the less experienced cooks (a potential danger) and knives sharp enough for those with lesser skill levels to use safely. (a wider margin of safety) There needs to be a balance between the two notions as I see it. Those who have developed their skills and self confidence may be better able to use the very sharp knives more safely.

Farmer Jon points out in his post how his wife cut herself on a knife he sharpened and now he isn't allowed to sharpen the knives. He didn't elaborate on how exactly she cut herself though. Whether it was mishandling them, when washing them, or when cutting food.
Farmer Jon's is just one person's experience. I think all cooks are better off with sharper knives, and practice to improve their skills. There's no way to maintain a "balance" as you described.

While I strongly believe that it is better to have sharper knives and that some accidents happen because a knife is used with too much pressure because it wasn't sharp enough, there can be situations where a "too sharp knife" is dangerous. If someone is expecting a dull or not very sharp knife and it is very, very sharp, it is easy to cut yourself. Just last week, I was handling, not using, a very sharp knife and accidentally touched my hand to the edge of the knife, very lightly. I managed to cut myself enough that it bled.

While I strongly believe that it is better to have sharper knives and that some accidents happen because a knife is used with too much pressure because it wasn't sharp enough, there can be situations where a "too sharp knife" is dangerous. If someone is expecting a dull or not very sharp knife and it is very, very sharp, it is easy to cut yourself. Just last week, I was handling, not using, a very sharp knife and accidentally touched my hand to the edge of the knife, very lightly. I managed to cut myself enough that it bled.
I agree, people need to be careful. I did just this when I received a new knife for Christmas. I don't think it's a good argument for not keeping knives sharp, though.

Back
Top Bottom