How do you cook your Corned Beef & Cabbage?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No mention of Slow Cooker in the title???? I thought this was the Slow Cooker Forum. Did I not read something right?

The question you asked was "How do you cook your corned beef?" That is the question I answered. I don't cook it in a slow cooker - I used to but I haven't for years. Most methods for a dutch oven will also work for a slow cooker, since the general process is the same.

I'm sorry that the thread didn't go where you wanted it to. That is the nature of threads on most forums... they sometimes wander off track then usually wander back. It's no different from a conversation among friends - in fact, that's exactly what it is. Once the thread is posted, it's out of the control of the original poster. I can't say that I always favor some of the replies I read here, but I just shrug them off. It's no reason to leave the forum.

Last edited:
Milford, if you're still here, I just looked back and re-read every single word of this thread. There wasn't an unkind word anywhere, only members trying to help.

You may have posted this in the slow cooker forum, but your question was "how do you cook your corned beef and cabbage?" And you received answers.

I couldn't agree more with that Cheryl.

Crockpot cooking isn't just dump everything in and expect it to make a wonderful dinner worth eating.

Help me out here ladies. The only way I have ever cooked corned beef is in a crockpot, S-L-O-W. In fact, I just made a 4.5 pounder yesterday. I put in potatoes, carrots, and celery on the bottom and place the corned beef on top, fat side up, covered in spices, and then I add 1 cup of water. I cook for 8 hours on low and my veggies turn out perfect every time. BUT......the last couple times my corned beef has turned out dry!

I have read where some people actually cover the entire corned beef in liquid prior to cooking?

Mike

Help me out here ladies. The only way I have ever cooked corned beef is in a crockpot, S-L-O-W. In fact, I just made a 4.5 pounder yesterday. I put in potatoes, carrots, and celery on the bottom and place the corned beef on top, fat side up, covered in spices, and then I add 1 cup of water. I cook for 8 hours on low and my veggies turn out perfect every time. BUT......the last couple times my corned beef has turned out dry!

I have read where some people actually cover the entire corned beef in liquid prior to cooking?

Mike

Mike I'm not a lady but have cooked countless corned beef and its always good/great.
I take the corned beef out of the bag and put in a large dutch oven. (large heavy duty pot)
I add enough water to cover and I add the spice pack that many here will warn against doing.
I bring this to a boil and skim of the foam, lower to simmer and gently simmer 1 hour per pound. These directions are on the corned beef bag.

I don't make vegetables (sometimes cabbage) with my corned beef. I make sandwiches.
But, after you remove the finished meat from the pan, add the veggies and cook until tender.
Allowing the corned beef to rest during this cooking time will make it very easy to slice. If all else fails, read the directions on the package. You cannot mess this up. Liquid is the key.

These steps come from package directions but I have no idea the brand.

Mike I'm not a lady but have cooked countless corned beef and its always good/great.
I take the corned beef out of the bag and put in a large dutch oven. (large heavy duty pot)
I add enough water to cover and I add the spice pack that many here will warn against doing.
I bring this to a boil and skim of the foam, lower to simmer and gently simmer 1 hour per pound. These directions are on the corned beef bag.

I don't make vegetables (sometimes cabbage) with my corned beef. I make sandwiches.
But, after you remove the finished meat from the pan, add the veggies and cook until tender.
Allowing the corned beef to rest during this cooking time will make it very easy to slice. If all else fails, read the directions on the package. You cannot mess this up. Liquid is the key.

These steps come from package directions but I have no idea the brand.

Thanks Bones. I said ladies because I replied to Kayelle's post. :)

I have eaten corned beef for a very long time. My mother always made it in a slow cooker and she cooked it all day long with potatoes, carrots, onions, celery, and cabbage. She NEVER covered the corned beef in liquid. I read a lot of people do cover it in liquid prior to cooking. I guess I will give it a try next time. My brother cooks his in the oven and he swears it's the moistest corned beef he has ever eaten. I haven't given his way a try yet either!

Thanks
Mike

I read through this thread and compared it with a recipe that I found in a wonderful book called 'American Classics'. The information contained there - plus this thread - makes me think 'Wow, I've got to do this!' I have a large terracotta pot, just the job, methinks, that's just right for the job - diameter 10 inches x 6 inches depth. I would probably slow cook it on the wood-burning stove. When I do this, I would use my thermometer to check how it's doing. I've got a lovely recipe from the aformentioned book.

Am I going about this the right way? We're so used to doing things 'all'italiana', however, in the main, Italians don't consume as much meat as you all do, unless they're doing a barbecue. If I get it right, I know OH will enjoy it. Of course, we'd have to invite friends, it seems to me that it could be the focus of attention. What wine would you serve with it?

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

I read through this thread and compared it with a recipe that I found in a wonderful book called 'American Classics'. The information contained there - plus this thread - makes me think 'Wow, I've got to do this!'

Is that the book by America's Test Kitchen or Cooks Illustrated?

I've cooked it 100s of times, mines my mums recipe and still melt in the mouth stuff. I boil mine slowly with pepper corns and golden syrup. Slow boil for about 3 to 4 hrs,depending on the size.i put carrots in one hour into the cook.i steam my cabbage with 20 mins to go. Serve with mash tatter and make a mustard sauce from the pot liquor.

10/10 every time.

Russ

The question you asked was "How do you cook your corned beef?" That is the question I answered. I don't cook it in a slow cooker - I used to but I haven't for years. Most methods for a dutch oven will also work for a slow cooker, since the general process is the same.

I'm sorry that the thread didn't go where you wanted it to. That is the nature of threads on most forums... they sometimes wander off track then usually wander back. It's no different from a conversation among friends - in fact, that's exactly what it is. Once the thread is posted, it's out of the control of the original poster. I can't say that I always favor some of the replies I read here, but I just shrug them off. It's no reason to leave the forum.

Lol, no reason to leave, I've only been here a short time, and I can tell ya there's some sensitive souls on here. Posts deleted for what??? Making a comment, a factual comment. Perhaps I have a thick skin,lol.

Russ

In answer to Got Garlic's question, the book I have is indeed the one where they do trials, assess the results, and then suggest what they think gives the desired result. Of course, I realise that people's palates are different. That could change everything!

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

Thanks Bones. I said ladies because I replied to Kayelle's post. :)

I have eaten corned beef for a very long time. My mother always made it in a slow cooker and she cooked it all day long with potatoes, carrots, onions, celery, and cabbage. She NEVER covered the corned beef in liquid. I read a lot of people do cover it in liquid prior to cooking. I guess I will give it a try next time. My brother cooks his in the oven and he swears it's the moistest corned beef he has ever eaten. I haven't given his way a try yet either!

Thanks
Mike

The oven method is also on the bag.
My mother always cooked it in the oven.

This cut needs to be braised and I'm not sure about a slow cooker.
But a pressure cooker sounds like a real good idea. I don't have one though.
Good luck. Just follow package directions and your corned beef will be great.

I do my corned beef for 90 minutes in pressure cooker. About 1 pint/2 cups water. After 90 minutes remove beef and add potatoes and cabbage pressure cook 5 minutes. = tender beef and perfect veggies. I posted my Instant Pot corned beef recipe if your interested.

Again with the Crock Pot. My wife got a beautiful 5# chunk of Corned Beef. I have found half a dozen recipes on the internet. All different.

One says throw in the meat, potatoes, carrots, and cabbage all at once, and cook for 8 - 10 hrs.
Another says cook the meat for 6 hrs, then add potatoes, then cabbage during last hour.
Another says cook meat for 8 hrs then add potatoes and cabbage last 2 hrs.

Anyone offer any suggestions? I need to know the timing for everything. I haven't cooked this for over 10 years. And then, I was using my pressure cooker.

Thanks for any help. Hoping to make this Tomorrow.

YUK. I don't... :ROFLMAO: Sorry. :mellow:

Hi Rick, you might want to check the original dates at the beginning of these threads, and then some of the dates at the end. This particular thread was started in March of 2018 and the last post (afore yours) was November 2018.

Just to help your comments stay in context. ;)

Hi Rick, you might want to check the original dates at the beginning of these threads, and then some of the dates at the end. This particular thread was started in March of 2018 and the last post (afore yours) was November 2018.

Just to help your comments stay in context. ;)

Thanks. Since we have no thanks button I will do it this way from now on.

Back
Top Bottom