Growing Oyster Mushrooms Indoors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My kit produced not a single mushroom. Very disappointing! Glad you got something to eat from your Dragn!

This one took close to a month to produce. They did say that these were slow to start. I have another kit (different 'shroom) but I'm not starting it until this one is almost spent. I love mushrooms but don't want to drown in them.

I've retired my indoor mushroom tent for the season. Now Im focussing on the outdoor mushrooms , primarily shiitake and wine cap. Inoculated 12 logs with various kinds of shiitake. They break them up into cool weather, warm weather and wide range specimens, I got 2 wide range varieties and 1 warm weather. The holes are drilled with a special bit that corresponds to the size and length of the innoculated hard wood dowels. Each hole about 6 inches apart . The dowels are then hammered into place. Wax is then placed where the dowels have been hammered in, the ends of the logs, and areas where branches were cut off . This is to conserve the moisture in the log. The logs are then placed in shaded areas to allow the spores to colonize the wood. I keep mine in range of one of my sprinklers, to keep it moist. It could take 6 - 18 months before producing, depending on the variety and conditions. I have 3 year old logs that are still producing. The logs I got last year took about 12 months to produce.

The wine cap garden consists of a layer of cardboard to keep weeds out, and direct contact with the underlying dirt. a layer of wood chips, then a layer of soaked straw. The inoculated saw dust is then sprinkled on the straw and worked in. Another later of wood chops is then placed on top of the straw . the top layer of wood chips helps keep the straw moist. The mushrooms grow faster on the straw , but once they inoculate the wood, they will produce longer, beaus the wood takes longer to break down . Using a combo of straw and wood gives the best of both worlds. quicker inoculation, and a bed that produces mushrooms longer. I keep the beds on the north side of the fence for shade.

Attachments

• Wine cap.png
    Wine cap.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 2
  • Log1 .png
    Log1 .png
    1.4 MB · Views: 2
  • Mushroon Logs.png
    Mushroon Logs.png
    843.7 KB · Views: 2
Back
Top Bottom