Got a Lot of Garlic?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
wpackagedforfreezergarlic.jpg

freezerjars-003.jpg

I never tried creasing the bags. I'll have to give it a try. I usually process our garlic after we do the planting in october sometime.

That is brilliant! I've always wanted to pick up those big bags of garlic cloves, but I don't because there's no way I'd use it all before it spoils. Now I won't be hesitant to pick it up.

Thanks (y)

I make a bunch of garlic and ginger paste, for all that Indian and Chinese food I make, and freeze it in tapered mason jars. It thaws quickly enough - in just a few minutes on the counter - that I can gouge out however much I want, and then put it back in the freezer. And no garlic aroma will exit the glass containers.

Thanks taxy - seems like a neat idea.

wpackagedforfreezergarlic.jpg

freezerjars-003.jpg

I never tried creasing the bags. I'll have to give it a try. I usually process our garlic after we do the planting in october sometime.
It was the creasing that I thought was particularly clever. I knew about freezing it flat in a plastic bag. I just didn't really like the idea of "breaking off" a piece that would be a random size.

I make a bunch of garlic and ginger paste, for all that Indian and Chinese food I make, and freeze it in tapered mason jars. It thaws quickly enough - in just a few minutes on the counter - that I can gouge out however much I want, and then put it back in the freezer. And no garlic aroma will exit the glass containers.
"tapered mason jars"?

I will have to give that a try in a small Mason jar. I want to see how well it works to scoop some out after a short while on the counter.

When you make the ginger garlic paste, do you use a 50/50 ratio?

It was the creasing that I thought was particularly clever. I knew about freezing it flat in a plastic bag. I just didn't really like the idea of "breaking off" a piece that would be a random size.
Since you don't do the creasing, how do you get the frozen garlic out? Does it break off easily, even without creasing into portions?

@taxlady Those "tapered mason jars" allow for expansion of things freezing in them (I've known people to put too much of something liquid in a regular jar, and wonder why it would break!), and are the wide mouth pints, and the regular mouthed 1 and 1½ cup jelly jars.

Back
Top Bottom