Futzin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

giggler

Sous Chef
Tax Lady recently used this word in a discussion about computers.

I m of German/Czeck heritage from central Texas.

I have not heard that word since I was a little Boy!

Imagine my surprise to hear that comming from our Dear Friend in Canada.

She also has the most cool avatar of all times.

Has anyone else ever heard that word, Futzin.

Eric, Austin Tx.

Czech heritage here. We were always futzin around. I'm sure it was Dad who said it. His Mother was born in Czechoslovakia.

Although I've usually used and hear "putzin" but on occasion I have heard "futzin"

Believe it or not both expressions are in the "UrbanThesaraus"

LOL They don't give the origins, but the list is incredible - with quite a few blank-outs (redacted and profanity) :LOL:

Although I've usually used and hear "putzin" but on occasion I have heard "futzin"

Believe it or not both expressions are in the "UrbanThesaraus"

LOL They don't give the origins, but the list is incredible - with quite a few blank-outs (redacted and profanity) [emoji38]
I've heard both, but I heard putzin more often when I was growing up in Michigan. There were a lot of people of eastern European descent there.

My mom used Futzin around for just doing nothing in particular. We are of Italian background.

I don't think it's Danish. I don't know where I picked up the expression. I use it mostly when I'm dealing with annoying stuff, often with too many steps and too much detail

Futzin was used mostly when doing something like organizing a workbench and getting sidetracked by the found treasures. Or trying to organize books and end up reading...

Both of my grandmothers used it frequently - neither of them cursed a lick but they both used that work in "What the Futz?" and "Why you Futzing around?".

Futz and Putz are 2 very different things. One is a noun and the other a verb.
Futz is a verb. Putz is both a noun and a verb. 2021-07-18-12-15-27.jpg

When I was a kid I used the word Putz and got yelled (loud and long) at by a Jewish friend of the family. She said Putz was a male reproductive organ. I never said it again around her. I never looked it up either because back then there was no internet. I just took her word for it and stuck to futz.

Yes, Montreal, Quebec has a large Jewish community. I'm pretty sure that is their translation for the word.

When I first heard the word I was told it was Jewish in origin although people outside of the community would not realize the implication - even given the translation of, for instance, "quit dicken around". I think that is a pretty good explanation...

oh fudge! I said it again!

Back
Top Bottom