Frozen lamb whole

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rascal

Head Chef
From the home of lamb my family all love lamb.
I buy whole frozen carcass and my mate who is a butcher cuts up to my requirements.
Back legs for roasting
Front legs cut into shoulder chops
Loin chops for tandoori cutlets curries.
Last 1 I got was 24 kg. Cost $240.
Do buy whole sheep or half side of cattle?

Russ

Yes, I get my lamb and beef locally. The lamb I butcher myself the beef I have a local abattoir break down the beef into more manageable pieces and I break them down more from there. My beef is generally from 1 farm and they're retired diary cows, smaller, and I like the way both farms work the land and do business. Both work out to around 5.00 a lb, which is a bonus considering the prices lately.

I don't have the energy for whole or half ungulates. I have never had a whole lamb.

My MIL (mother-in-law) bought a whole beef carcass that the farmer had butchered for her. She shared out quarters to her three sons and kept one quarter for her and my FIL. That was an experience. Pieces were not well labelled ("steak", "roast"). Too much got turned into ground beef, the brisket among other things. I also shared a half a baby bull with @CWS4322. That went a lot better, we knew some of the instructions that the butcher needed from us.

I have helped butcher a couple of deer and a moose (Europeans call that particular type of deer an elk). That moose was a lot of meat.

No.

I buy what I need week to week.

I try to keep the cost in line by shopping the weekly specials and managers special markdowns.

IMO buying a side of beef, whole hog, etc… may allow a family to eat better cuts of meat and have more variety but I’m not sure that it represents any savings when you factor in the cost of the freezer, electricity, and other associated costs.

If the primary goal is saving money, I would encourage people to serve more plant based meals and use smaller amounts of meat.

There is really no right or wrong approach, we all need to do what makes sense for our own situation.

Rascal, I rather think even "down under" you have people whose life styles also mimic ours. Not everybody has gardens. Not everyone has freezers. Not everybody even want them. Not everybody have huge family meals once a week or even months.
Think city people. Many people work in offices and rush home at night to make supper. No different than us. Also those who are retired are often "empty nesters" who no longer need to keep a cheaper supply in the freezer for growing families.

Rascal, I rather think even "down under" you have people whose life styles also mimic ours. Not everybody has gardens. Not everyone has freezers. Not everybody even want them. Not everybody have huge family meals once a week or even months.
Think city people. Many people work in offices and rush home at night to make supper. No different than us. Also those who are retired are often "empty nesters" who no longer need to keep a cheaper supply in the freezer for growing families.

Yeah I'm on other sites as well. Nz was known for 1/4 acre sections and yes my wife has a big garden. Even when I was worked we did the same as well.
I used to do homekill with a friend. I know how to kill and dress lambs and pigs etc.
And I'm not frugal by any means.

Russ

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom