Crockpot Chicken Creole

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SaveMoneyFever

Assistant Cook
Crockpot Chicken Creole is a tasty Louisiana-style dish of chicken, onions, peppers, celery, and spices in a flavorful tomato sauce served over rice. Set it up in the crockpot and dinner will be almost ready when you get home. It’s certainly one of my favorite crockpot recipes!

tomatosoup-482403_1280 (1).jpg

Ingredients​

• 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 2 onions medium, chopped
  • 2 green bell peppers chopped
  • 1 cup celery chopped
  • 1 teaspoon garlic minced, or Spice World Minced Garlic
  • 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
  • 28 ounce diced tomatoes can, Contadina preferred
  • 2 cups chicken broth Progresso
  • 12 ounce tomato paste Contadina
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon dried basil
  • 1 teaspoon thyme
  • 1 teaspoon marjoram
  • 1 teaspoon Creole seasoning optional, Zatarain's, nice if you like some zing
  • 3 cups cooked rice

Instructions​

• In a frying pan or your multicooker or crockpot (if it has the saute feature), heat the olive oil. Cook the chopped onions, chopped peppers, chopped celery, and minced garlic for 5-7 minutes. Transfer the cooked items into your crockpot if you cooked in a frying pan.
  • Add in the chicken, diced tomatoes, broth, paste, and seasonings (black pepper, salt, dried basil, thyme, marjoram, and Zatarain’s Creole Seasoning). Stir to combine.
  • Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours. It will be done when the chicken’s internal temperature reaches 165 degrees (check it with an Instant Read Thermometer). Cooking times may vary depending on your crockpot or multicooker. You can shred the chicken using two forks, cut it up into pieces, or leave it as it is for serving.
  • Toward the end of the cooking time, prepare the rice.
  • Serve the chicken creole on top of the rice.
Crockpot Chicken Creole is normally one of my wintertime standard meals. But because it’s been so hot outside lately, I’m trying everything to avoid cooking in the oven. I think of Chicken Creole as comfort food in the winter. But think about it this way – why? It uses fresh ingredients, and by adjusting the spiciness down slightly, it can seem like it’s a lighter meal.

Attachments

• Cindy in Boat.jpg
    Cindy in Boat.jpg
    238.6 KB · Views: 18
Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to DC.

Looks like a good recipe, but 6-8 hours, or 3-4 on high? I don't have a crock pot, but I'm thinking chicken breast would overcook in that amount of time. But, like I said, I don't have, or use a crock pot, so maybe that amount of time is normal. I'd probably use boneless skinless chicken thighs, myself, but I'll have to take your word for it that 6-8 hours is not too much.

CD

Welcome to the forum!

I was thinking the same thing about the chicken breast, and the thing I was thinking that I would do is use thighs, because that's what I use in anything like that - hard to overcook thigh meat.

Back
Top Bottom