Chowing' down for Thursday, June 20th. What's your Solstice dinner?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rodentraiser

Head Chef
It's hot today, so I had my salad for lunch. For dinner, I'm just thinking of heading out to the Mexican restaurant and getting a chicken tostada with a side of refried beans. But of course, I'm still waiting for the contractor to show up.

Have you guys noticed that tostada and refried are still being underlined when you type them, like they're words no one uses?

Ham steak, scalloped potatoes, and peas and carrots.
20240620_190544.jpg

After picking up two of the grands from school this afternoon, ended up with youngest one staying with me and watching Paw patrol, singing along with "Let It Go", watching more Paw Patrol, youngest/youngest grand suddenly turned up and she wanted to watch something else... and feeding them broccoli sticks for a snack, chasing them and screaming like dinasaurs - back to Paw Patrol and Kitties...
finally Dad came and got them for supper...
..... whew!....
Wine and crackers tonight....
was only going to be a salad anyhow but just can't chop and slice now...

Watermelon, grapes, natto/veggie rice/collards, watermelon, then for dessert, watermelon.
Happy Solstice!
There's a wheat berry pie cooling in the fridge waiting for blackberry or raspberry puree topping.

I was out this afternoon, and had a late lunch at Whataburger. Cheeseburger with lettuce, tomato and mayo. I opted to pass on jalapeños, and it's probably a good thing. I also passed on fries. The burger was more than enough food in one sitting for me.

CD

My plan is to make frikadeller for tonight, since I mixed up the forcemeat yesterday. I'll have that with the potato salad I made yesterday and maybe a piece of rugbrød.
And that was what I had for supper, but I skipped the rugbrød.

The frikadeller were quick to make with the forcemeat ready from yesterday. I didn't realize that I had a frikadelle deficit and I have some left for sandwiches and/or snacking. I really, really enjoyed that. I have a little bit of that potato salad left, but it will be a snack later tonight. Man oh man, I do enjoy my own cooking.

Frikadeller and potato salad from a Danish recipe sm.jpg

After baking that bread on the grill, I grilled that marinated Thai chicken, actually by roasting it, keeping the burners on high on the opposite side - kept it about 375°, and I cooked them about 35 minutes, when they were still 5-10° too cool, then turned on the heat under them, and browned them more, and brought the breast to 160°, and the dark meat to 170, or a little higher. Only ate a thigh and a wing, with some of that Nahm Jeem Gratiem sauce - I'll have to make more of that, which I will use some of the scapes for, instead of garlic. Did the same for the marinade - a cilantro pesto, in which I put about twice the amount as normally used of minced garlic, and it worked great. I also used some scapes as a garlic substitute in some nam pric pao a few days ago, which also worked well, and after the caramelizing, the green was gone.
Cilantro pesto, made with scapes, and used to marinate chicken, to make Thai grilled chicken. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Chicken marinating to grill after baking the bread on the grill, for Thai grilled chicken. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Thai grilled chicken, to eat with some of that Nahm Jeem Gratiem - a sweet and sour spicy dip sauce. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

The vegetables I had were a bunch of pickled vegetables, most of which I was just snacking on.

Back
Top Bottom