Cheesecake from fresh milk.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gerardj

Senior Cook
I buy raw milk from the amish, I made yogurt by inoculating with live culture yogurt then wrapping the pot with an elec blanket for 8 hrs, came out good.
, then i realized I could make cream cheese from that, then realized I could make a cheesecake from the cream cheese.
I don't use a recipe for cheesecake, just whing it, the result was very light, very delicate , not the heavy ponderous typical type. I made a video.
You don't need to use raw milk, regular store bought is good.
Scaled the milk then let it cool down to where its safe to add the culture without killing it, around 90F is ok.

That's fantastic! It sounds like you've successfully crafted a delicious and unique cheesecake using raw milk, making your own cream cheese, and experimenting with the process.

That's fantastic! It sounds like you've successfully crafted a delicious and unique cheesecake using raw milk, making your own cream cheese, and experimenting with the process.

i think this is how it was always made before commercial cream cheese came along and ruined it. Besides superior taste and texture its also cheaper to make than commercial cream cheese.

"all my best creations were stolen by the ancients"
R.W. Emmerson.

That can be done by turning the fresh milk into quark first. I find quark easier to make than yogourt. It can be cultured at ordinary room temperature. When I make quark, I use a bit of sour cream or crème fraiche as my starter. I often use homemade quark as a substitute for cream cheese.

That can be done by turning the fresh milk into quark first. I find quark easier to make than yogourt. It can be cultured at ordinary room temperature. When I make quark, I use a bit of sour cream or crème fraiche as my starter. I often use homemade quark as a substitute for cream cheese.
I checked it out, yes it looks good, I wonder how clotted cream would work.

I was toying with making a cheesecake but when I went to check the price of cream cheese, I almost had a heart attack. The store wanted $4.98 for each 8oz brick of Philadelphia's cream cheese. I'm hoping that's a typo.

Tomorrow I'm going to Safeway to pick up a few things and I'll check their cream cheese and see what they price it at.

I was toying with making a cheesecake but when I went to check the price of cream cheese, I almost had a heart attack. The store wanted $4.98 for each 8oz brick of Philadelphia's cream cheese. I'm hoping that's a typo.

Tomorrow I'm going to Safeway to pick up a few things and I'll check their cream cheese and see what they price it at.
Yep, thats $10 LB.
thats why I made my own cream cheese, it would have cost me almost $20 just for ingredients.
If you make your own, even though 50% is drained away, it is closer to $1 LB.

I always buy the Kroger store brand of cream cheese (and I buy the low-fat Neufchatel, which is closer to the original French product). It's $1.99/8 oz. at my Kroger right now vs $3.49 for the Philadelphia brand. I find that a lot of the store brands are just as good as the brand names but much less expensive.

I always buy the Kroger store brand of cream cheese (and I buy the low-fat Neufchatel, which is closer to the original French product). It's $1.99/8 oz. at my Kroger right now vs $3.49 for the Philadelphia brand. I find that a lot of the store brands are just as good as the brand names but much less expensive.
Yes, I bought some Smithfield Dairy cream cheese 3 for $5 (8 oz packages) just before NYE at a regional grocer in our area. But I have bought the store brands from other grocery stores and it's usually about $2 for an 8 oz package.

I did try the store brand at one time but it turned out to be the one time I thought the name brand was better. No matter how soft the cream cheese was or how much I beat it, I still had large lumps in the batter. I've never had that problem with Philadelphia's cream cheese.

I suppose I should admit I haven't gotten to the store yet, though. Just too many things to get done here at home.

We're perfectly happy with Aldi cream cheese, although I don't make cheesecake. I used to buy Neufchatel all of the time, but recently switched to full-fat. That iteration of cream cheese seems almost sticky-pasty. I think I'm going back to Neufchatel when I stock my refrigerator...in our new house...at the end of the month!
hapydancsmil.gif

We're perfectly happy with Aldi cream cheese, although I don't make cheesecake. I used to buy Neufchatel all of the time, but recently switched to full-fat. That iteration of cream cheese seems almost sticky-pasty. I think I'm going back to Neufchatel when I stock my refrigerator...in our new house...at the end of the month!
hapydancsmil.gif
I like the Aldi brand just fine. I can't tell much of a difference between low fat and full fat cream cheese in flavor or consistency because I never just use it alone--no schmear on a bagel for me. When I put it on a bagel there are always salmon, capers, shallot, and avocado on it. I use it in dips often as well.

So I suppose for the health benefits I should be using the Neufchatel instead...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom