Cajun Style Tuna Salad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

caseydog

Master Chef
Cajun Style Tuna Salad

As part of my quest to share Texas and Cajun flavors with the forum, I came up with this tuna salad. It can be used for a number of things, such as sandwiches, as a dip, or as in the photo below, a tasty canapé.

Ingredients

2 5OZ Cans Good Quality Tuna
1/2 Cup Mayonnaise (Duke's if you can get it).
1/2 cup finely diced red onion
1/2 cup finely chopped celery
2 to 3 hot red chilis finely sliced (I used cayenne peppers from my garden -- shown in photo)

You can add salt to taste, but the tuna is already salty so taste first.

Instructions

Prep all your ingredients, and combine them in a bowl or container. Stir thoroughly.

For best results, park your tuna salad in the fridge overnight to let all the flavors get friendly.

1702791303534.jpeg

CD

I have saved this recipe to CMT. It sounds good. I just have to wait a little to get some hot peppers.

The photo was from last year. I didn't grow peppers this year, so I used some I had vacuum sealed in the freezer.

CD

The photo was from last year. I didn't grow peppers this year, so I used some I had vacuum sealed in the freezer.

CD
I might have, well actually, I'm pretty sure I have peppers in the freezer. But, the freezers are too stuffed for me to find them at the moment. I am trying to eat out of the freezers rather than buying more meat and fish, but I haven't been as successful as I had hoped.

It sounds great but I rarely have fresh hot peppers on hand, not sure why!

The pickled.jalapeño pepper slices in a jar add a nice zing to tuna salad, sandwiches, burgers, etc…

Also a spoon of chili garlic paste or a big pinch of cayenne.

I might have, well actually, I'm pretty sure I have peppers in the freezer. But, the freezers are too stuffed for me to find them at the moment. I am trying to eat out of the freezers rather than buying more meat and fish, but I haven't been as successful as I had hoped.

I stopped buying meat and other freezables a few months back, until I could find things in it reasonably easily. I just bought some chicken thighs a few days ago to be portioned and frozen -- I had used all my chicken, except for one pack of wings.

I keep all my frozen peppers in one of the smaller door shelves, so I don't have to go freezer diving for them.

CD

It sounds great but I rarely have fresh hot peppers on hand, not sure why!

The pickled.jalapeño pepper slices in a jar add a nice zing to tuna salad, sandwiches, burgers, etc…

Also a spoon of chili garlic paste or a big pinch of cayenne.

Pickled jalapeño peppers would work, diced really fine. I'd probably rinse them to get some of the vinegar taste off.

I used cayenne because they are common in cajun foods.

Thai chilis work, too, as they are very similar to cayenne peppers.

CD

Country Music Television?
I'm pretty sure that's a smartarse reply. CMT is used a lot here at DC to mean "Copy Me That". An online service and app that lets you store recipes in one place on the web and the recipes will be there even if the original site removes the recipe or shuts down.

First of all, it is not a smartass reply. I have never seen that acronym before, and it is not polite to use acronyms that nobody has ever heard of, common ones that you don't mean such as Country Music Television which is the most common meaning of CMT, or to make up your own. One of my favoriters is WW bread. I never knew that bread came with white walls!

I stopped buying meat and other freezables a few months back, until I could find things in it reasonably easily. I just bought some chicken thighs a few days ago to be portioned and frozen -- I had used all my chicken, except for one pack of wings.

I keep all my frozen peppers in one of the smaller door shelves, so I don't have to go freezer diving for them.

CD
I'm glad I'm not the only one.

Part of my problem is the larger chunks. Once upon a time I had dinner parties. Haven't done that in years, but old habits about buying enough for 6 to 12 (and sometimes even more) people are hard to break. And now, that there is just me to feed since my husband died in April, it only gets worse. What do I do with an entire large chicken? What about those foot or foot and a half long chunks of pork loin? So, I buy small amounts that I can eat within a day or four. Sure, some of that stuff I can make a larger amount of something and freeze in portions for later. I really want to get to that. The problem is that until ther is more space in the freezer, I don't have anywhere to store those servings for later. The dishes that freeze and reheat well tend to take more space than the raw meat.

First of all, it is not a smartass reply. I have never seen that acronym before, and it is not polite to use acronyms that nobody has ever heard of, common ones that you don't mean such as Country Music Television which is the most common meaning of CMT, or to make up your own. One of my favoriters is WW bread. I never knew that bread came with white walls!
In that case, I apologize for assuming it was a smartarse reply.

Do we want to update our acronym file? I was not the first person here to use that abbreviation.

The writer's rule is, the first time you use it, you define it. After that you can just use the acronym. Example: I bought some orb (over ripe bananas) and I used the orb and some chopped walnuts to make banana bread. Or, unless your house is on fire or something and you need to get out immediately, just spell it out. Oh and take your computer when you leave.

SirLOB, taxy and many of us here have been using the acronym "CMT" for quite some time now. Matter of fact I do believe there was a thread about the different ways to save recipes. Sorry you must have missed all of those posts. Several (again, including myself) have posted links to our recipes we have saved onto CMT.

The writer's rule is, the first time you use it, you define it. After that you can just use the acronym. Example: I bought some orb (over ripe bananas) and I used the orb and some chopped walnuts to make banana bread. Or, unless your house is on fire or something and you need to get out immediately, just spell it out. Oh and take your computer when you leave.
@Sir_Loin_of_Beef. according to you, does the "writer's rule" apply to the first time the abbreviation is used on the forum? The first time it is used in a thread? Or the first time it is used in one post?

OMG, WTF does this have to do with CSTS at the EOD? TBH, IDK. DAE? Please LMK ASAP.

B4N.

CD (caseydog) :D

I thought thought it was Country Music Tv!
but my response may be more smartass..
When I first read CD,s recipe...
I thought. What is cajun about that?
Did you at least sprinkle a bit of cajun seasoning on it?
Eric, Austin Tx.

I thought thought it was Country Music Tv!
but my response may be more smartass..
When I first read CD,s recipe...
I thought. What is cajun about that?
Did you at least sprinkle a bit of cajun seasoning on it?
Eric, Austin Tx.

That commercial cajun seasoning is mostly salt. But, it is what a whole lot of people think of when they think cajun food. It's gotta' have Tony Chachere's or it ain't cajun. :rolleyes::ROFLMAO:

CD

Back
Top Bottom