Book Club - March 2021 - The Art of Escapism Cooking...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think that Mandy Lee wrote the book for cathartic, personal reasons. I once moved 9 times in 11 years, but I loved bouncing around the world. At the time, I truly thought I would never be anywhere long. Mind you, I was born in a location where there are seven generations buried in the local cemetery (and I have lived in my current place for almost 30 - that still shocks me.) During those years, I escaped via cooking family recipes and, as I get older, I often wish myself back. Cooking family foods kept homesickness at bay. While I did dip toes into the local foods, I was never as far as Mandy Lee was in that I could always base new foods on familiar ingredients and techniques. Sure, I could not find red molasses, but I could find blackstrap. And while it was not quite the same, it worked for the moment.

Mind you, I never was "stuck" in a location for six years. While I am the type of person that can generally see the light side of most situations, I don't know that I have the ability to "sustain sunshine" for six years if I found the place truly disagreeable.

I do have food preferences, but I also LOVE to explore new foods, techniques, and flavorings. I've always been a "Jack of All Trades, and Master of None." I get bored staying in one lane for too long, so I am very excited by the thought of trying some of the "new" ingredients and recipes.

Like CG, texture can be an obstacle for me. As I move through the book, it is something in the back of my mind that I will keep in thought when I weigh which recipe to try.

\I cook to escape often. Sometimes to reduce anxiety. Sometimes to "go somewhere" when I have no time to travel. Lots of reasons, so I can empathize that much with Mandy Lee. I do appreciate her writing even though she does come across angry. However, it seems that her voice comes through and allows me to sense what she is feeling. I do like that.
I agree with you that she wrote for personal reasons. Just like movies or games for the majority of people, cooking is for Mandy I guess.

Although I am still to read the book in whole, or at least a few pages of it, I like the style of her writing.

I agree with you that she wrote for personal reasons. Just like movies or games for the majority of people, cooking is for Mandy I guess.

Although I am still to read the book in whole, or at least a few pages of it, I like the style of her writing.

I like her writing style too. It's abrasive. It's raw. To me, it feels real. Not many people are comfortable exposing their "less than their best" sides.

I'm still pondering her pantry lists. Some of the ingredients seem very intriguing.

The next two chapters are "New York, New York" and "Meet Richard."

When I read, I sometimes imagine music that goes with the story or book. This leads to some questions to consider:

1. What kind of music do you think would be playing in Mandy Lee's kitchen as she cooks?

2. Have you learned anything new that you feel you might be able to use?

Kathleen, Mandy Lee has heavy metal cranked up to 11! I have a couple discs of what I call "angry teen-aged boy music" that I would play loudly when I was angry and alone. :LOL: Counter-intuitive, I know, but it works.

This book made me buy a book. Not this one, but Ruth Reichl's "My Kitchen Year". I had thought of getting my own copy when I first borrowed it from the library a year or two ago, but reading Mandy Lee's book made me remember why I liked the Reichl book so much. I preferred the quieter way that Reichl dealt with the upheaval in her life, and the gentler approach in her writing. No gratuitous profanity here! While I am definitely not a prude, I thought that Mandy Lee could have left the F-bombs out of her book. :glare: I am so not a millennial...

Kathleen, Mandy Lee has heavy metal cranked up to 11! I have a couple discs of what I call "angry teen-aged boy music" that I would play loudly when I was angry and alone. :LOL: Counter-intuitive, I know, but it works.

This book made me buy a book. Not this one, but Ruth Reichl's "My Kitchen Year". I had thought of getting my own copy when I first borrowed it from the library a year or two ago, but reading Mandy Lee's book made me remember why I liked the Reichl book so much. I preferred the quieter way that Reichl dealt with the upheaval in her life, and the gentler approach in her writing. No gratuitous profanity here! While I am definitely not a prude, I thought that Mandy Lee could have left the F-bombs out of her book. :glare: I am so not a millennial...

You answered my next question: Does this book make you want to read another book and why? :)

I like my angry boy rock music too in times like that. I picture her playing music from Rage Against the Machine while cooking. In truth, at her age, it may be more HipHop or Rap. I might also play something more punkish in those kinds of moods.

Also, I am not a fan of the level of f-bombs, but I do believe she is writing how she speaks. It does lend realness to her writing. At least, it does to me. Oddly, in other books, movies, etc., I feel f-bombing often detracts from the realness in dialogue. I have no explanation why it feels real here.

As for learning something new: Many of her ingredients and their uses are new to me. I cannot wait to return to my Asian Market!

The next two parts are "The Break-Up" and "The Chimney." As mentioned above, the first question: Does this book make you want to read another book and why? The second one is: Does the author expand enough on her rationales and reasons for her ingredient choices or feelings?

Also, we have one more segment to read. Who will select the next book?

Last edited:
I'm finding everyone's comments so fascinating! I do not have the book, nor, due to the fact I'm still in the middle of my move, will I get it, but here are my comments on some of your findings.

f-bombs - honestly it would have turned me off right away. I hate that word and used to notice immediately should someone use it. Not so much anymore, but heavy, inappropriate in movies might even make me turn it off. Trouble is - I use it embarrassingly far far too much myself. If I put a dime in a jar for each word I would have paid for a trip to visit all of you on several occasions.

I can't imagine using music for background support. I do like music but never turn a radio on, either in the house or car.

That her anger seems to come through so decidedly for most of you, as it is obviously deliberate and as mentioned, a cathartic trip through an unhappy time, well, I don't need or want to deal with someone else's troubles as at the moment I seem to have enough of my own. Maybe earlier or later, but not now.

Conclusion, should I see it in a bookstore I will thoroughly peruse it and possibly even change my mind.

Dragnlaw, for me, the benefit is the unusual ingredients. I love her ideas on their uses. In the Asian Food Market, I often feel intimidated by what I see. I think her book will encourage me to dip my spoons in to the unknown more. :)

Sorry I couldn't respond in the recent days as I've been really busy with a few new websites. And hosting on Amazon cloud has put me in extra trouble. lol.
I too don't like to listen to music or any other thing when I pay attention to something. For me music should be enjoyed with 100% attention to it, which is why I hate it when people turn on their music and start talking to others without listening to the music they themselves started playing.

But I understand, some people may enjoy music while doing stuff, but I'm one who never does that :)
My honest idea about the style of writing is: not that the writer really had anything personal, but she chose that tone as a way to make her writing stand out from the usual formal or casual writing styles. I'm not sure but that's my strong belief.

Sorry I couldn't respond in the recent days as I've been really busy with a few new websites. And hosting on Amazon cloud has put me in extra trouble. lol.
I too don't like to listen to music or any other thing when I pay attention to something. For me music should be enjoyed with 100% attention to it, which is why I hate it when people turn on their music and start talking to others without listening to the music they themselves started playing.

But I understand, some people may enjoy music while doing stuff, but I'm one who never does that :)
My honest idea about the style of writing is: not that the writer really had anything personal, but she chose that tone as a way to make her writing stand out from the usual formal or casual writing styles. I'm not sure but that's my strong belief.

You would hate traveling with my family on road trips. Music, singing along, talking in contrast the entire way. ;)

Interesting thought about her tone. Hmmmm. Something to ponder.

I haven't read the book, but just from reading the comments I think I would have hated this book. The author's tone of anger would have made me tired, plus the F-bombing would have left me cold. I picture the author cooking in her kitchen with an afghan over her head while Palpatine's theme plays in the background. (Yes, I watched Big Bang Theory way too much). At any rate, I use music to help relax while I'm cross stitching, cooking or writing. Music while writing actually helps me get into the scene and find the emotion I want. And I stitch faster while listening to music. I think it takes me out of myself. Perhaps Mandy Lee should try some Indian flute music and yoga meditation for her anger issues. ;) :chef:

I found a very interesting web site archive.org it has a ton of books you can download, many of them free and they have cookbooks going back to 1708! I perused a few and found them interesting from both a cooking angle and a philosophy perspective. Taking into account how things have changed with modern appliances and resources I thought it might be interesting to try and review one of the older cookbooks for the next book. :chef:

I found a very interesting web site archive.org it has a ton of books you can download, many of them free and they have cookbooks going back to 1708! I perused a few and found them interesting from both a cooking angle and a philosophy perspective. Taking into account how things have changed with modern appliances and resources I thought it might be interesting to try and review one of the older cookbooks for the next book. :chef:

Very cool. Is it simply recipe books or something from a more philosophical perspective?

To answer last week's questions, I'm not certain that I want to read another book by Mandy Lee even though I enjoyed this one. At this point, it has left me with too many unanswered questions. I understand some of the reasons that she did not care for Richard but, even after she wrote her next sections, I still do not understand why she was never able to find friends or even what put her so much in the red (anger). I don't believe that I would have liked the area either, but was there nothing there that brought her joy? I love her descriptions of the ingredients, but still was curious about her choices. Sometimes, cooking brings me comfort. Making my family's traditional T-Day meal, for example, makes me feel closer to my family. It brings warm memories of times long gone and the people who are gone with them. Is that how she selected her ingredients? I still do not know.

The last of her book is titled "The Pups" and wrap ups. My questions are: Do you feel that Mandy Lee is still an angry person? Why do you feel the way you do? What is one take-away from the book?

Got Garlic, would you select our next book? Cooking Goddess or Taxy? Anyone? :)

Got Garlic, would you select our next book? Cooking Goddess or Taxy? Anyone? [emoji2]
I'll be honest - I lost interest in the book because of her anger. With the state of the world and my physical health, I don't have enough energy to take on her emotions as well.

I would like to propose "Eight Flavors: The Untold Story of American Cuisine" by Sarah Lohman for the next book. Cooking Goddess expressed interest and, Kathleen, it includes recipes that go with the eight flavors she describes ;) I love food history and so it resonates with me on that level, too.
https://www.amazon.com/Eight-Flavors-Untold-American-Cuisine/dp/1476753954

This unique culinary history of America offers a fascinating look at our past and uses long-forgotten recipes to explain how eight flavors changed how we eat.

The United States boasts a culturally and ethnically diverse population which makes for a continually changing culinary landscape. But a young historical gastronomist named Sarah Lohman discovered that American food is united by eight flavors: black pepper, vanilla, curry powder, chili powder, soy sauce, garlic, MSG, and Sriracha. In Eight Flavors, Lohman sets out to explore how these influential ingredients made their way to the American table.

She begins in the archives, searching through economic, scientific, political, religious, and culinary records. She pores over cookbooks and manuscripts, dating back to the eighteenth century, through modern standards like How to Cook Everything by Mark Bittman. Lohman discovers when each of these eight flavors first appear in American kitchens—then she asks why.

Eight Flavors introduces the explorers, merchants, botanists, farmers, writers, and chefs whose choices came to define the American palate. Lohman takes you on a journey through the past to tell us something about our present, and our future. We meet John Crowninshield a New England merchant who traveled to Sumatra in the 1790s in search of black pepper. And Edmond Albius, a twelve-year-old slave who lived on an island off the coast of Madagascar, who discovered the technique still used to pollinate vanilla orchids today. Weaving together original research, historical recipes, gorgeous illustrations and Lohman’s own adventures both in the kitchen and in the field, Eight Flavors is a delicious treat—ready to be devoured.
Shall I start a new thread for this?

Last edited:
QUOTE=Kathleen;1649793]Very cool. Is it simply recipe books or something from a more philosophical perspective?
There are recipe books, but I was on Pintrest when a book about teaching cooking in school caught my eye. It was turn of the century and talked about teaching girls to build and maintain cooking fires etc - I can't find the title right now, but if I do, I'll post it. They have books from 1708 to present.

GG, I agree with you to start a new thread.

Should anyone want to go back and reread some of the posts for a specific book, adding new books to the existing one will be difficult.

This one already has the title of the book reviewed. so I think the next book should also have it's own title.

I don't know if it is possible to create a new section in the threads? All the book reviews would therefore be in one area.

GG, I agree with you to start a new thread.

Should anyone want to go back and reread some of the posts for a specific book, adding new books to the existing one will be difficult.

This one already has the title of the book reviewed. so I think the next book should also have it's own title.

I don't know if it is possible to create a new section in the threads? All the book reviews would therefore be in one area.

I like starting a new thread. And the new book sounds great.

I will be honest. While I did like Mandy Lee's book, I was finding it hard to read to the end. That being said, I added a garlic-chili sauce to dinner tonight. A first for me, but won't be the last. I will thank Mandy Lee for that!

I like starting a new thread. And the new book sounds great.

I will be honest. While I did like Mandy Lee's book, I was finding it hard to read to the end. That being said, I added a garlic-chili sauce to dinner tonight. A first for me, but won't be the last. I will thank Mandy Lee for that!
I have made a lot of chilli sauces buy didn't have a recipe. So I cannot remember how I made them. :LOL: However, my favourite chilli is naga morich with which any sauce could be great.

With thinkgs getting a tiny bit calmer with this move, when we get out of lock-down, I will look for this book in either library or bookstore.

With the controversies mentioned here I want to physically browse before I consider buying.

I believe even if you only get 2 maybe 3 recipes from a book - it is generally worth the price. You don't have to read all the blurbs that go with them, LOL.

With thinkgs getting a tiny bit calmer with this move, when we get out of lock-down, I will look for this book in either library or bookstore.

With the controversies mentioned here I want to physically browse before I consider buying.

I believe even if you only get 2 maybe 3 recipes from a book - it is generally worth the price. You don't have to read all the blurbs that go with them, LOL.
I can send you the content pages if you need.

Back
Top Bottom