Book Club?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wish you were all nearby, so I could share my several hundred cookbooks with you!
I still have to build another bookcase.:rolleyes:

I think I would rather discuss techniques over plots. We are a cooking crew! However, I have never actually participated in a live book club, so am not knowledgeable to all of the nuances. :rolleyes: I'm leaning heavily on you all for that!

So with that in mind, there is a book that I've seen, but never read. Maybe it would check all of the boxes for everyone? The Art of Escapism Cooking: A Survival Story with Intensely Good Flavors by Mandy Lee. It keeps coming up on my recommendations.

GG, can you get it?
Taxy, it does have the kindle version.

And I have not read it.......

Thoughts?

That sounds similar to Ruth Reichl's "My Kitchen Year", writing about how she cooked her way through the shock of demise of Gourmet magazine.

Mandy Lee's book is available only in hard bound through my library, FWIW, although I do go into my library. I would need to request it from a different location, thought.
I'd have to buy it. I've been having trouble using my library's online system for a while now. I downloaded and read a sample and I really like the writing, so sure - let's go with it.

A suggestion for the book club. I'm reading now:

"Animal, Vegetable, Junk: A history of food from sustainable to suicidal"
By Mark Bittman

https://www.amazon.com/Animal-Veget...0&s=books&sprefix=animal+veget,aps,230&sr=1-1

That sounds interesting! Join us....maybe we can read it next!

I wish you were all nearby, so I could share my several hundred cookbooks with you!
I still have to build another bookcase.:rolleyes:

Between the two of us...well, all of us, we would have an extensive collection of cookbooks. I read them like novels.

I'd have to buy it. I've been having trouble using my library's online system for a while now. I downloaded and read a sample and I really like the writing, so sure - let's go with it.

Okay...let's go with it. I'll set it up on a thread. I intend to download it for the kindle app.

"My" copy of the Mandy Lee book is somewhere between Springfield MA and my town library. Fingers crossed, I should be able to pick it up by the end of the week. How long will we have to read it? I just picked up four books today, have one large-print book in progress, but am currently reading one on my tablet. And I wonder why I can't get anything done. [emoji38] Still, I will move the Lee book to the to of the stack.

We should take as long as we want. I mean...we are online....and people can join the discussion when they want. I was thinking that it would be 4 weeks minimally. Thoughts?

I like the idea of a month or so. I get migraines that make me pretty non-functional for a few days at a time. I'm thinking of that because, I have one right now. I only have the teensiest of headaches, but I'm klutzy and can't read for very long at a go.

I'm still unclear. Did we choose a book? I have a"cookbook room" with hundreds of books. Tell me which one were using.

Last edited:
I love the idea of taking turns selecting a book. I also love reading about cultures, etc. If fiction, I would hope it has a food slant where we might explore recipes. Making new things is always exciting for me!

I love the idea of taking turns selecting a book. I also love reading about cultures, etc. If fiction, I would hope it has a food slant where we might explore recipes. Making new things is always exciting for me!
My experience with irl book clubs is that if we try to come to consensus about a book, debating it takes a lot of time that could be spent getting on with reading it. Another thing I like about my current club is the surprise when I find I enjoy a book chosen by someone else that I didn't think I would like.

Four weeks is a good amount of time. Many people work best with a deadline, so I think that's important. I tend to wait until closer to the deadline, so I will remember better what I liked about the book [emoji16]

For this club, fiction should definitely have food as a big part of the theme. One book I was thinking of is "The Joy Luck Club," a novel about four Chinese immigrant women and their American daughters. They meet regularly to play mah jongh, eat dim sum and talk about life. I've never made dim sum [emoji2]

So we're ready to get going! [emoji38] [emoji432]

Missed this as I didn't have proper internet past few days. I'm in!
I usually read classical stories but any book is alright for me. Count me in please.

Sounds perfect! Let's try to get the book by next Wednesday. Even if it does not come in for you by then, you can still participate in the initial discussion. The book is The Art of Escapism Cooking: A Survival Story with Intensely Good Flavors by Mandy Lee.

Anyone is welcome to join at any time. Someone else will select the next book we read, but we will pour over this book over the course of a month or a bit more, if needed, but I think a month is a good timeline.

The link to the discussion is here: https://www.discusscooking.com/foru...-2021-the-art-of-escapism-cooking-106796.html The link to where you can purchase the book is on that link as well.

Back
Top Bottom