Black beans and rice (Venezuelan Style)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

K34WhN

Assistant Cook
Hello Everyone,
Thought i would share one of my recipes with all of you. Enjoy!

Caraotas con Arroz ( Black beans and rice, Venezuelan Style)
**We are only going to use the flavored oil from the sofrito in this recipe.
For the black beans:
1 medium onion, chopped
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 can of black beans
4 tbsp canola oil
salt
cilantro, chopped
Heat black beans in a sauce pan over medium-high heat. meanwhile, in a separate sauce pan, saute the onion and the garlic in the canola oil until soft. When the beans start to boil, add salt and the oil from the sofrito only. Use a strainer and press with a spoon. Heat for another 5 minutes on med-low heat. Add the cilantro and remove from heat.
For the rice:
1 small onion, peeled and whole
2 tbsp canola oil
1 cup of rice
2 1/4 cup of water
salt
Add the onion to the water and bring to a boil. Add the oil, salt and the rice. Stir frequently, turning heat to medium as the water evaporates, making sure the rice is always simmering. When the rice is almost ready, turn heat to low and cover for 5-10 minutes. Remove from heat and discard the onion. Serve the beans over rice, add 1 tbsp of butter and grated white cheese.

Last edited by a moderator:
Buonsera Keila,

We are black bean fans ... Thanks alot for posting recipe.

We used to live in Sao Paulo, while the Vet was working on his Veternarian Thesis, and I had learnt how to make Feijoada, the Brazilian National black bean dish ... I also, have a very dear Cuban friend in South Miami Beach, who is wicked at preparing them too ...

Thanks for posting your recipe and shall copy and paste, as it is a bit too hot here for black beans ( 35 degrees centigrade ).

Have lovely wkend.
Ciao, Margi.

Last edited:
Hello Everyone!

That's great!
I love Black Beans, they're my favorite and i'm very happy to hear there are some fans out there too like myself :yum:
This particular recipe was taken from my mom, she likes the taste of onion, but she hates to see it or acually bite it in the food, lol.
So for her it was much better to just give the onion flavor for both the oil for the beans and the water for the rice instead.
It's a different and more subtle taste. But always delicious!
Hope you enjoy making it just like me, i eat it at least once a week ;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom