Air layering rosemary again, plus the curry tree and lime tree.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pepperhead212

Master Chef
Last night and today I air layered my curry tree, the younger lime tree, and the rosemary. The rosemary I just did it to have a backup plant, like I always have on the back porch, in case of single digit temps the main plant doesn't survive, even when protected. I did this last season, and gave the plant to my gardening friend, and it is about 1½ ft tall already! She fell in love with it, even though she never really used it - not something used much in Indian cooking. I air layered the lime tree, because that old one (23 years old) wasn't doing that well (until I repotted it), and that, and the curry tree I figured I'd start some small plants, just to have the smaller ones for years, making them easier to move in and out! And maybe sell these large ones. When I did this before, the lime trees rooted in 7 months, the curry in 5 months, and the rosemary in 3 months.

In that rooting medium I made, I put about 50% coir, 25% vermiculite, and 25% granular diatomaceous earth, which I sterilized (sort of) by moistening it with boiling water, then cooling. Then I added a little micorrhyzae to it, along with a small amount of crumbled up mosquito dunk, to prevent fungus gnats. And I moistened it the rest of the way with some water, and a small amount of Clonex added. I'll see if this speeds if up any.

I'll put the rosemary on a second post, since this has more than 8 photos.
Here are the things I used to air layer the curry tree, lime tree, and rosemary, which is almost a tree! by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Can't see it really well, but the bark and layers below, were scraped off with a razor blade. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Starting the air layering propagation on the curry tree. The medium I made to use was half coir, and about a fourth each vermiculite and granular DE. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

The stem on the lime tree, getting ready to air layer it, 7-30 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Lime tree stem, prepped for air layering. 7-30 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Here's the medium packed into root ball for air layering. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Here's the root ball on the lime tree, starting the air layering, on 7-30 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

The rosemary was fast last year, and rooted in a pot, and growing in less than 3 months. The stem I prepped this time was shorter - about 5" - but the stem has a lot of new stems coming out of it. I'll see how fast it shows roots.
Prepped stem on rosemary, for air layering, showing the inch scraped clear. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

That prepped rosemary stem, with the two rooting liquids brushed on, before the root ball is clamped on. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Rosemary, starting the air layering, tying some of the stems together, since they are a little too flexible. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

I just air layered, for the first time, a few fig trees. I have a friend who has a very productive fig tree on her property for 40 years. She gave me a few cuttings last year which I successfully rooted and planted. She just told me she is moving out of state, and would love to take the tree with herm but it is way tooo big to dig up. I suggested trying to air layer a few branches. Time was limited, so I kinda had to get it right the first time around. I actually did try air layering a few years back, with no success. Im a little older, wiser and have more experience and common sense on my side this time around. They air layers developed a significant amount of roots, I just cut them yesterday, and the day before and the leaves on them are nice and perky ( no drooping). So far, so good. ( And for all you observant folks, yes, I am wearing cow-patterned garden shoes. My wife is thrilled when I wear them out in public. Im at the age where I just don't care. I actually got compliments when I wore them to the film festival last week, although my daughter was quite embarrassed of me, and there's good chance I was being mocked instead of complimented ).

Attachments

• Air layer.png
    Air layer.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 17
Does anyone use air layering in spring to propagate plants that stay in the ground in winter or are these just for pots that come in warmer places during winter?

@pepperhead212 I love the pictures and explanations.
@larry_stewart I actually like the shoes, no mocking at all.
There are so many 'cow' things in wisconsin, the dairyland state, no one would bat an eye here.

I had heard about air layering but never really knew what was happening with it nor did I even know you used such a device to do so.

and yes, I love your garden clogs too.

@larry_stewart How long did it take for the figs to get those roots? That's another thing I was thinking of air layering, or taking a cutting from, to have as a backup.
I started the air layers on June 16fh. I cut the first one off July 29th, another the 30th and the last 2 the 31st. Normally I would have let it go a little longer to develop more roots, but my friend is moving in a week, so I had no choice. I did 6 air layers, 4 of them successful, the other 2 I dont see any evidence of roots. Being the first time ( actually the second) that I've done this, I'm happy with the results. The first two are now a few days in the pot, and the leaves are nice and perky with no drooping. One of the ones I separated yesterday, I accidentally snapped off a decent portion of the roots, so I'm not sure how that one will do.

I've had about a 75 - 80 % success rate rooting cuttings. I did it primarily as an experiment to see if I could do it, and learn the process, and wound up with 20 fig trees I didn't need, so I donated them to people from a local garden group I am in. Now that I know I can do it relatively successfully, Im going to take more cuttings from some of the varieties that are really good producers . The ones I initially took the cuttings from were from a few fig trees I have that really dont produce. I used them as the guinea pigs.

Back
Top Bottom